Chapter 25 The funeral

Chapter 25

            Scott paced nervously in his mom’s living room waiting for her to finish getting ready. He just wanted to get this over with and never have to see that man again for the rest of his life. After everything he went through with him he was glad he could finally close that chapter and move on. Mitch had been amazing through the whole process. He had been there to hold Scott’s hand and to dry his tears. Scott felt an amazing weight off his shoulders knowing there were no more secrets between him and Mitch. It was like they could start a new chapter after this and move on finally with their future.

            Connie was putting on her make-up and her best dress. She didn’t really care about what Richard or his family would think of her but she wanted to look her best just for herself. Besides after this she had a lunch date with her now fairly serious boyfriend Austin. He was amazing. He had been so supportive and understanding about everything with Richard’s death. He even offered to go to the funeral with her but she knew that wouldn’t go over very well. Connie felt very lucky that after everything Austin had come into her life and stayed through everything. He even comforted her through the whole Travis fiasco and offered to move her in with him so she could feel safe. Connie didn’t want to abandon the home she had built with Scott but she was very honored that Austin cared that much.

            Mitch sat on Connie’s couch and watched as his love paced nervously around the room. He knew he was nervous about this funeral and seeing that side of his family but also about the fact that his mom didn’t know. Mitch had tried to urge him to tell her but Scott just couldn’t handle the fact that she might not believe him or worse reject him and think he was disgusting for keeping it secret for so many years. What if his mom didn’t love him anymore or blamed him for their problems? Mitch tried to reassure him that Connie would never do that and she loved Scott endlessly but he would hear nothing of it. “Scott baby just talk to her. I know your mom and she will understand. She would want to know love please I will be right here holding your hand just tell her. Do you really want him to go to the grave without the truth being out?” Scott stopped pacing and looked at Mitch. “I love you but no I won’t do it. She doesn’t need to know. It’s over. He can’t hurt me or her anymore so I just want to get his a*s six feet under and call it a day. I wouldn’t even be going but I can’t just leave my mom to deal with all of this.”

            Scott began to pace again. Mitch stood up and smoothed out his jet black suit. He walked over to his lover and stood in front of him blocking his path. “Scottney listen to me. I wouldn’t steer you wrong.  We promised we were going to listen to each other and do what was best for our future. How do you plan to move on and lose all of this aggression if you don’t tell your mom the truth? She has a right to know. Just tell her honey I swear you will feel so much better once it’s all out in the open. She will be nothing but loving and accepting I know it.” Scott put his hands on Mitch’s shoulders and sighed. “I know you are trying to look out for me but seriously I said no. It’s not going to happen. I’m not telling my mom and that’s final.”

            Connie walked out of the bedroom and heard Scott’s last sentence. “You’re not telling me what?” she asked as she walked into the living room knowing there was something serious going on between her two boys. “Nothing mom. You don’t need to worry about it now. You look amazing. I get to have two of the prettiest girls on my arm today.” Mitch smacked his arm and blushed. “You’re cute Scottie but I know something is going on,” Connie grilled him,” sit down over here and talk to your mother right now.” Scott groaned and walked over to sit next to his mom. “It’s nothing mom really. You don’t need to deal with this today. Let’s just get ready and go to the funeral so we can get this awful day over with.”