05 | January 5ᵗʰ

A BUOYANT LAD, around the age of eighteen, felt like he was flying in mid-air. He's celebrating his first dating anniversary with her today — January 5, 2005. Although they've been secretly dating, their dedication towards their love for each other is immaculate.

At the same time, place, and clothes, they both snuck their ways to meet each other. As he was impatiently waiting like a child amid the rain, he uncomfortably sat under the old tree, alone. Her presence wasn't there yet.

He thought she might just be excited so she was running late but he neglected these sentiments when he heard three gunshots and children from a nearby house, crying.

The light flickered open from the same house and a married couple peeked through the window to see what was going on. They saw a girl's lifeless body in front of their house.

With concerned-looking faces, the couple both went outside and started yelling for help. He heard their desperate shouts as he hurriedly came near without being aware of his surroundings.

Although there was light from the park, it was still pitch black but he managed to distinguish her body, lifelessly lying on the middle of the road, head drowning in a puddle of blood as the rain slowly dissolves the pigment of crimson red.

The now crying lad and couple steadied when they heard someone flickering a gun, aiming it momentarily towards the boy's head. The woman screamed while her husband hugged her when one more gunshot was heard.

The tall lad with the firearm started running, leaving nothing behind except the tears that escaped his eyes. Although the rain made it look like they weren't crying, their eyes told different stories.

"Jake!" the man yelled, "Grab my phone and dial 911! Make sure Riley and Clare are in their rooms. Lock the doors and close the windows."

He then loosened his hug with his wife so he could wipe her tears. With trembling hands, he held his with hers as he whispers, "Everything will be alright. We're safe. Our children are safe: Riley, Jake, and Clare are safe."