22 | Remember Him, Chase

THE TWENTY-YEAR-OLD FROZE. She wasn't expecting this. As Clare lost eye contact with Riley, the older then clearly saw the girl's tears being crystal clear through her reflection from the mirror.

"Clare... Is something wrong?" Riley calmly asks yet concern was very evident from the tone of her voice, "Who are you talking to?"

"I'm just..." the younger whispers yet the river that flowed down her cheeks requested her to stay silent.

Riley's heartbeat fastened. Suspicion and terror climbed up her spine as Clare continuously hides the truth from her.

While she disregarded the fear she feeling, she modified her posture as she spoke, "Cedric's downstairs. You can talk to him about this. He could help, just like last time."

"C-can he come in here instead?" the younger whispers in between her sobs.

Riley was skeptical but she nodded a 'yes' in return. As she recklessly went to the living room, Chase slowly approached Clare to comfort her.

He floats in front of the crying girl. A bothered expression was glued onto his face while he caressed her back. He knows that now isn't the right time to talk to her yet he can't help but ask a question, even though the knot that earlier formed in his stomach pangs.

"Who's Cedric?" the boy asks — regret and distress were evident in his voice.

"My therapist," Clare sniffles, wiping the excess tears away from her cheeks, "You two haven't met but remember the night you almost killed me?" her angered voice seeped through the last few words.

Chase remained silent — disturbed at her sudden change of tone.

"He helped me at that time. He's the one who gave me these glasses."

Three more knocks were later heard. The door then creaked open and the tall lad with a tiny bag peeked through.

"Clare," he states. A wide smile immediately plastered on his lips as he entered the room, closing the door afterward, "Last time I saw you, you were only eleven... How have you been these past few years?"