38 | Heaven And Hell

CLARE'S ENRAGED HEART BEATS within each second she inhales. Whenever she exhales, she can't help but stare at a crimson-tinted canvas, which she hopes was tinted crystal blue as if it's painted with solemn tears shed from a loved one, or perhaps it was tinted rose pink as if it's filled with up-curved lips smiling towards Clare herself, but no.

Clare stared at a loved one's corpse – her sister's body enveloped with the warmth of her own blood – and a loved one's soul, who smiled at her with glee, regardless of Chase and his partner's presence.

Riley's lips then arched up. She had this urge to speak yet the sweet echoes from the empty void of her heart came out of her mouth. It was nothing else but a sob of mere sadness.

Her arms wanted to embrace Clare yet, as Riley stared at Chase enveloping her little sister, she hoped that someday, she'd do that as well. The hug they'll someday share will be the warmest, for it will have a much deeper and meaningful portrayal.

Then slowly, a beam of light bursts from the ceiling. Clare's sobs got louder and Chase's embrace got tighter. He closed his eyes as he cradled Clare between his arms – squeezing her, as if that would help her let all the pain drip away from the cage within her heart.

As light filled the room, the floor remained dark – too dark for anyone to see their own shadow. That pitch black tint was the pathway for Chase's partner. Regardless of denial, she went down there – a place where she once was, before she was sent back in order for her to heal and fulfill the burning sensation she had felt in her chest.

During that moment, no one spoke. No one had the courage to. All they did was cry – letting all the words they wanted to scream and all the questions they wanted to yell, to submerge into liquid; because, for them, that was easier.

It was easier to cry than to apologize. It was easier to give tight embraces than to confess the truth. It was easier for them but is it like that for Jake Florence?