35 | Addicting, right?

CLYDE HARPER'S LIPS CURLED UP at the same moment Jake's eyes landed on his. The young boy furiously stared, as though laser pointers were being beamed at Clyde's pupils; but the older gracefully peers, for what had happened was close to his liking.

"Let me come with you. If I'm not mistaking, you're going home this weekend," Clyde muttered without breaking eye contact.

Jake's heartbeat fastened as the thought of rushing between Clare's embrace softened the lad's heart, but the thought of going back to what he considers hell is far from his liking.

"Speechless, I see," Clyde continued.

The older then raised an eyebrow. His lips stood higher and his posture straightened. With his hands linked together below his chin, Jake can't help but swallow the remaining words he had left.

"Silence means yes," the man titters, "Quite cliché, but you seem shocked. You can't even utter a simple swear."

The nausea that earlier crept upon the boy's head felt like it's starting to make his thoughts swell. Safety comes first, especially towards his sisters, but based on how suspicious Clyde's acting, Jake can't help but overthink.

Nonetheless, his lips muttered a quiet, "I need to go to the restroom," before rushing towards a stall.

Jake's hands met his hair, for they entangled themselves until strands broke.

"Can't my own son give me a hug?" a voice repeatedly murmured, "Come here. Just try one shot," as though it's starting to echo inside the boy's earlobe.

He hurriedly covered his ears the moment he locked the stall's door, hoping that could help ease the pain from all the shrieks he hears; yet, nothing can't seem to work. Closing his eyes meant nothing as well, but for the spirit that stood in front of him, looking at her direction would mean a lot.

"Addicting, right?" the same voice whispered.