14 | Clare's Death Wish

"I THINK BEING WITH YOU counts as one," Clare opens the journal on her lap, "Who knows? You might be a guardian angel in disguise or perhaps a demon that devours my soul every time you go through my body."

A small smile formed between Chase's lips, "Or perhaps I'm your lost soulmate?" he slowly questions while glancing at her from the ceiling.

She just laughs, "What's that suppose to mean?"

"Am I even your soulmate?" He slowly floats down as his feet shortly touched the floor. A teasing look deliberately scattered on his face, "I mean... Can I be one?"

"I think, not."

"You think, not?" he asks with an annoying facial expression.

"I don't even think you can be one. After all, you're just a fragment of my imagination," she then smiles although sadness was being echoed by her lips.

He awkwardly laughs. His heartfelt like it was run over by a truck, "I'm... I'm being serious, Clare."

"Me too," she lies down on her bed, "Well, kind of..." As her gaze landed on Chase, she can't seem to hide her uneased look off of her face.

"Did you have a death wish?" the girl asks momentarily — her soft voice breaking the awkwardness between them.

"I don't remember..."

"If you could make one up right now, what would it be?" she questions once more yet silence then filled the space all over again.

As Clare faced the ceiling, Chase started staring at the girl in front of him. He then decided to float on top of her with only a one-foot gap.

He noticed the slanted glasses on her face, along with her closed eyes. Her button nose was slightly red-tinted — so were her cheeks. Her parted lips were plump which was very kissable for the mindset of the lad.

"I'm a lost soul, right?" he subjects while he slowly neared his back towards the ceiling.

Clare was silent.

"Maybe if I did have one, I shouldn't be here," he states in his head as sadness slowly reflects from his inner voice.

A dash of tear escaped from Chase's eyes. The liquid fell onto Clare's lips. That made her open her eyes. A crying Chase Harper soon overpowered her vision.

"That's what you were telling me," she slowly whispered, "Is something wrong?" concern hurriedly etched onto her voice.

Chase just smiled, "Nothing is. You just..." he turns around — his head thinking of what to say next. As he's now facing the ceiling, his tears ran down the sides of his face.

"You remind me of someone," his lips hesitantly uttered.