23 | Last Decision

THE FLOATING BOY inside Clare's room can't seem to understand what was going on. From the moment Riley entered the area to Cedric starting a therapy session with Clare, Chase is starting to get neglected by the seventeen-year-old.

"I understand," Cedric nods while he listened to what Clare was saying, "Riley did call me to check on you regarding your journal."

She then stood from the end of her bed as she neared the nightstand that was a few feet away from them. She grabbed the journal and handed it to the tall lad who was sitting near her.

"You can have it," she quietly mumbled, "I don't need it anymore."

She smiles — sadly. Both of the boys noticed. Chase became uncomfortable but Cedric seems to feel pleased about what the lass gave.

"Don't you want to keep this?" the older asks while examining the notebook's cover.

The girl sighs, "I want to, but like..." she slowly sat down to where she was positioned earlier — hugging her legs and resting her chin on them momentarily, "I don't know... I'm scared."

"What are you scared of?" Cedric asks as he thwarted his gaze towards her.

He noticed the tears forming under her eyes while she remained silent. Cedric then puts the notebook at the other end of the bed — away from both of them.

"You know," he slowly asserted, "as you're growing older, you're starting to look like the girl my sibling fell in love with."

Clare's eyes widened. Her heart started to beat irregularly.

"While I'm looking at you, it's making me reminisce about the last decision I was forced to do..." he whisper-like said while despair and remorse reflected from the tone of his voice.

He stood up as he slowly walked towards the door. When his hand took hold of the doorknob, his thumb pressed the middle part — locking it.

"Clare... Do you know anyone named Chase Harper, by any chance?"