39 | Goodbye, Beloved

LIGHT OVERPOWERED RILEY'S VISION. She sees nothing else but white pigment. Her thoughts were blank although earlier, her heart was furiously beating, as if chimpanzees took a hold of her arteries.

Currently, her heartbeat is calm – too calm for her liking.

"You won't understand. Just... Go away!" Clare yells at Riley.

The pen the younger was holding onto was about to be thrown towards Riley's direction, but her hand froze amid the tension between the two; for, the fabric from the sleeping garment on Clare's wrist wrinkled, as if someone held onto it.

Riley's eyebrows met. That had raised further suspicion. Nonetheless, she left the room, speechless.

Her heartbeat was calmly beating. Now, it's starting to fasten its phase.

Loud thud sounds were coming from upstairs. Riley rushed up there, even though she was running late for her job interview with Clyde Harper. She went inside Clare's room yet, no one was there.

The moment she closed the door, she heard glass breaking and shards of it falling onto the floor. That's when she knew something was awfully wrong.

She quickly fled to the bathroom. As she opened the door, she saw Clare's enraged eyes staring back at her but, those eyes weren't Clare's. Riley felt like someone else was staring at her.

A few moments later, the younger one passes out. Her body collected various sizes of broken glass from the floor. Riley went inside to check Clare's consciousness, but a shard of glass found its way between her foot.

Her heartbeat was vigorously beating but, as she saw Cedric picking Clare up, she couldn't help but calm down.

"Thank you for coming," Riley whispers.

Cedric's lips trembled as he saw Clare's condition, along with Riley's stabbed foot.

"I can drive you two to the hospital but I have to go right away. I just snuck out of work. We can reschedule the interview," he sadly offered.

She limply stood up, only to hold onto Cedric's shoulder for support.

Her heartbeat remained calm – still too calm for her liking.

"Hey," Riley abruptly called as she stared at Cedric from across the hospital's emergency hall.

She was hesitant to speak, nonetheless, she managed to continue, "Can you come over on Clare's birthday? You can just act like... All of this... Never happened."

And slowly, her heartbeat fully calmed down, for it now merely beats each second. The light that enveloped her entire body, her entire sight, became black, as if she's about to go back to sleep – to her last slumber she'd be in for the rest of her lifetime.