15 | Unexpected News

CLARE AND CHASE'S BACKS are glued on the hardwood flooring of the girl's room. They've been in this position for the past hour — taking turns in asking each other questions.

This idea was from Chase since he wanted to cheer her up. After the unexpected news of her father passing away, which was accompanied by her mother a few days later, Clare can't help but overthink.

"Do ghosts still go to the bathroom?" the girl abruptly asks.

Chase sadly tittered as a response, "Weren't we talking about your parents earlier? What's with that sudden question?"

"Well," she sighs mid-way of speech before resuming, "The idea suddenly popped up in my head so..."

The boy's heart drastically tightened.

"I haven't gone to the bathroom," he hesitantly answers, "Last time I was in there, we were..." his voice suddenly lowered its volume, "You know..."

"Let's change the topic," she gradually lifted her hands above her head like she's grabbing the light from the bulb, "Do you remember anything that happened in the convenience store?"

Chase's head titled to where Clare was at, "I don't remember."

"Do you recall why you died or how you died?"

"I wish I did," he then sighs as he admired the beauty that's in front of him, "but it doesn't matter anymore."

"Do you at least remember who I reminded you of?" she slowly asks — her voice becoming softer as she speaks.

"I didn't wish I did."

She snickers at his response, "What do you mean?"

"I did not wish I did. Like..." the boy then freezes as he was thinking of something to say, "I kind of remember her when I look at you."

"Remember who?" the sixteen-year-old questions as she titled her head towards Chase's direction, "Your friend?"

Their eyes unknowingly fixated on each other. The night sky from Clare's window reflected the stars through Chase's eyes. As she peered, it's like she's stargazing from above.

"I think so," he slowly answered back, "but I don't remember the girl's name."

Clare sighed, "Weird..." a contented smile  carelessly formed on her lips, "What if it's Clare Florence and you're my lost soulmate?"