41 | Meet Evelyn Florence

STRANGERS' FOOTSTEPS ECHOED through the café but, the moment Jake neared Clyde, the man in the suit seating comfortably, straightened his posture on the seat. His gaze then fixated on the younger's eyes. As Jake sat, Clyde can't help but feel tensed.

"About earlier's conversation, why do want to go to my home?" Jake stated, specifying the last word.

Clyde just smiled as a response. His hand then reached for Jake's drink, pushing it towards the boy's side of the table as a proposal.

"Stop the formality. Earlier you were cursing me out while you hindered yourself from hurling. Now, it's like I'm talking to different person."

Jake scuffed, "Earlier, you were forcing him to talk to you. Now, it's like you want me out of your sight."

Without wasting a second, the older's smile widened. His eyebrows lowered, and so did his head. The stiff posture he earlier had has already relaxed. This made Jake's whole body shudder.

"Earlier, I was forcing you, Jake Florence, to talk to me. That is... If you are who I'm talking to."

The younger's eyes widened. His heart felt like it twisted itself, for it formed an entangled knot no one can undo.

"So, who's the he you were referring to?" Clyde continues while jolting his head back up, only to stare at Jake's glaring eyes.

"Stop the act, Clyde."

"Stop what act? I asked politely."

"I said stop it," Jake furiously mumbled. As his hands found contact with his knees, instantly crunching his pants from frustration, he continuous, "Answer my question and please, just stay away from my kids. I want you out of their life. I want them safe, Clyde. Safe and alive."

"They'd be safe if you were there for them. A mother's protection can withstand any predicament their kids might face yet, what did you do?"

Jake's physique froze. He can't even do a mere swallow of saliva. His body's not allowing him.

"You followed your husband's footsteps. You killed yourself, Lyn. Evelyn Florence killed herself, and she's now possessing her own child," Clyde continued, letting out a small titter after – as if what he had said was utterly humorous.

Eyes from strangers hurriedly hovered upon the both of them. Clyde seems calm in their current situation, but Jake's speechless. Blinking for him seemed like it needed a full ton of force. The man in a suit found this amusing to watch.

Clyde then stood from his seat, earning more glares from people surrounding them. Jake found this moment to speak, although he was severely hesitant to utter a single word.

"Let's go home," the younger whispers.

Clyde widely smiled as a response.