31 | You're Not Helping

THE ASH FROM A HALF BURNT CIGARETTE between Jake's lips almost touched the skin on his arm when the wind blew some of the ashes onto him.

With tired eyes staring upfront, the boy admired the golden pigment that was given off by the sun as it slowly sets. He watched passers-by walking down the lane with the same exhausted eyes as him. The lad then clenched the cigarette between his fingers, exhaling smoke that later was smudged onto his face when another gush of wind occured.

As his back leans onto the white pavement of the factory he works at, he sighs. The adrenaline of the cigarette climbs up his spine, yet the headache from overworking his body to its extent is making his day worst.

"Worried about your little girls again?" Clyde Harper spoke; his footsteps fading in louder as he nears the twenty-seven-year-old, "I could give your bonus early--"

"No thanks," Jake interrupted while his eyes wandered everywhere except Clyde's.

As his fingers neared the cigarette towards his lips, inhaling and exhaling the smoke afterwards, he continued, "I haven't even repayed you from last time yet."

Clyde gave off a slight laugh. He then rested his hand onto the younger's shoulder.

"You don't need to worry about that. I'm just here if you need anything."

"My parents are surely greatful for that," Jake smiles, although solemness was reflected from his thin lips, "but I'm not like them."

He threw the cigarette onto the ground. The sole of his shoes crushed the stick until it's as thin as cardboard.

His thoughts started to reminisce about how enthusiastic his dad was when he told him he's working at Clyde's manufacturing agency. Although he wanted to pursue studying to graduate with an engineering degree, he couldn't say no towards his sick father.

"Sorry about your loss," Clyde abruptly spoke when he removed his hand from the younger's shoulder, "All the responsibility must've piled onto your shoulders at an early age..."

"You're not helping," Jake whispers in his thoughts.

His eyes then narrowed when his head started throbbing, as though nausea's slowly gnawing his brain.

"Let's slide that aside... Cedric's at your place right now. Well, I assume, since he hasn't come back yet."

"I'm sorry. I really have to go--"

Clyde took hold of Jake's shoulders, giving it a slight push, enough for the younger to take a small step towards the direction where Clyde's walking.

"Let's grab coffee on the way. I'll drive you home after stopping by at a café."

"This son of a bitch."