1

Kelly

I looked up at the ceiling. The day had finally come. I was nervous. It had been a long ride but I had finally gotten to the finish line.

"Are you ready dear?" I heard Irene's voice through the door.

"Yes," I answered. I quickly fixed myself up and opened the door to a smiling Irene.

"They're ready for you downstairs," she smiled at me.

"Thanks Irene," I smiled back.

We both made our way downstairs and went into my dad's office. I saw my mom and dad standing together, together with my training officer and the official head of the service.

"Thank you for letting us into the White House in order to do this," Mr Baszler, the official head of the service, said.

"Please step forward, raise your hand and repeat after me Miss Richardson," Officer LeBlanc said. I did as instructed.

"I, Kelly Patricia Richardson," he began.

"I, Kelly Patricia Richardson," I repeated.

"Swear to uphold the integrity of the service, its people and the constitution."

"To keep the confidentiality of my identity, intel and reason for mission."

"And to not compromise the mission, government or service."

"Congratulations Miss Richardson. You are officially sworn in as an operative for the Secret Intelligence Service of America," Mr Baszler nodded.

"Here are your documents and handbook that you must keep in a secret location," Officer LeBlanc handed over a binder and a little book.

"Thank you Sirs. I will not let you down," I saluted with two fingers then bowed.

"Welcome to the big leagues Agent Richardson," Officer LeBlanc smiled, "we'll be on our way."

The two left the office and I was left with my mom and dad.

"Congratulations honey," my mom said mutely.

"Yes, congratulations," my dad followed.

"Thanks," I tried to remain optimistic but it was tough.

My parents were not too thrilled on me becoming a spy. A number of things had become a cause for concern regarding my decision but I just didn't want to be helpless anymore. I wanted to actually be able to protect myself and my family, the way someone once did.

I left my dad's office and went upstairs to my room. Irene stopped me in the hall.

"Congratulations sweetheart," she hugged me.

"Thanks Irene," I smiled.

"All that training finally paid off. I'm glad you stuck it out, especially considering how difficult it was for you," she smiled weakly.

She was right. Ever since Grayson was killed almost two years ago, I hadn't been able to really come back from that. Becoming an agent for the service finally made me feel like I had some sort of purpose. Not to mention graduating from college in a couple months.

"Yeah," I nodded slowly, "but everything is all great now."

"Indeed," she nodded and was on her way.

I went into my room, put my binder and handbook down and looked at my bedside table. I stared at the framed photo of Grayson and I that I had. The photo was taken just before the Gala, the day that he died.

"I hope you're protecting me from heaven, the same way you did on Earth. I'm doing this for you," I whispered as I looked at his beautiful face.

I missed him so much.