24

Kelly

I entered the house and went straight to my room. I closed the door and sat at my desk. I looked myself in the mirror with difficulty as the sun had already set and it was starting to become dark. I felt my head racing with thoughts. Almost trying to pound their way out of my skull.

I just sat through a whole afternoon of people plotting my downfall and the downfall of my family.

Not to mention I just found out that two people I trusted are involved in this evil doings.

I felt so lost. I knew being a spy was going to be difficult, they basically drill that into your head from day one of training but when it involves people you trust, it's a different game.

I just couldn't help but think things would be different if Grayson was still alive. He'd still be protecting me. I wouldn't have to fend for myself and my family and the country. I would be safe. I would be secure. I would be loved.

I missed him terribly today. A part of me wishes I could speak to him somehow about all of this. It would bring me so much comfort.

Before I knew it, all my thoughts had made my eyes water. As the droplets ran down my face, I just sat there, taking it all in and processing everything that happened.

"Kelly sweetie," I heard Irene's voice.

"You can't come in right now Irene," I tried to say without sniffling.

"Oh okay Kelly. I just wanted to know if you're alright?" she asked.

"I'm fine," I croaked.

"I know you're not and I know you don't want me to come in but that doesn't mean we can't have a door conversation," she chuckled lightly. She always knew how to make heavy situations lighter.

"I'm not really able to tell you much you know that right," I chuckled faintly with her.

"Well what can you tell me?" she asked.

"That my trust got broken today," I answered.

"Honey. People are always going to break your trust. It's what you do with that broken trust. Do you throw it in their faces or use it to learn?" she questioned.

"Use it to learn," I murmured.

"And remember, your country needs you. You're doing good. Everything will work out. Your training can't go to waste," she explained.

"Thanks Irene," I pressed my body against the door, "I'm giving you a hug through the door."

"Oh I can feel it sweetheart. Thank you," her sweet voice said soundly and I heard footsteps leaving my door.