29

Grayson

"Oh you're back," Chloë's voice rung in my ears as I entered the house.

"Yeah I just had to get some fresh air," I said, running my hands through my hair.

"Pue importe. I need you to look over the lists that Claudette compiled earlier today," she ordered.

"About Claudette," I paused, "am I the only one who's sensing something is off with her?"

"I mean she works decently. But I do find it strange how quiet she is," Chloë mentioned.

Claudette had given me a weird feeling. It was as if there was something she was hiding. And the way she was so inquisitive about me yesterday. It was strange.

"What are we talking about?" Hugo came from upstairs.

"Claudette and her performance," Chloë answered.

"Oh Claudette," Hugo sighed admiringly, "yeah something is off about her. I'm not sure she's ready for this kind of life, at least not now."

"I just feel like she's hiding something. Have you two done a background check on her?" I asked.

"That's not our job," Chloë spat.

"Besides, the embassy is supposed to do background checks. They wouldn't send anyone illégitime to train and work for us," Hugo stated, "which is why I just think she's just not ready right now."

"If it's that much of a concern to you idiots I'll report back to the embassy and let them know. I'll ask them further to do a background check and have it sent to us okay," Chloë growled.

"Excellente," Hugo said and Chloë went upstairs.

"Grayson you know what we have to do right," Hugo murmured.

"What?" I asked. Hugo was staring at me intensely.

"We have to take Claudette out. I feel how you feel and who knows what hot water we could land in if we have a mole within the operation," he shook his head.

"I understand," I said.

"We'll do it after tomorrow. You do remember the plan for tomorrow right?" he asked.

"Yes," I nodded and gulped. I was not ready for what was coming.

"Good. We're gonna do one more briefing tonight. You better not mess this up," Hugo's voice rumbled and he left the house.