chapter 3

Ciara’s POV

As I drove home, my mind wondered to Avan, bet he’s enjoying detention right about now. Grinning I turned the corner and made my way to Aunt Clara’s house. Well I guess it’s mine too, ever since my parents died about five years ago in a car accident, where a truck driver crashed into them.

I was at home at the time but my cousin Amber was with my parents, she was lucky to be alive.

The crash caused major problems to her head and the doctors made it there in time to save her life but…I sighed.

They couldn’t save her eyes.

The glass shattered and the next thing you know, the doctors told her she will never see again.

Amber didn’t take it well especially at how young she was, but with her mother and me by her side, she got used to it and then a couple of years after, accepted it as a part of her. She’s thankful that that is the only thing she lost and not her life.

Amber was 13 at the time of the accident but now at 18, one year older then me, she became very strong and took life with her head held high..

Well for me, it took awhile to understand that my parents weren’t coming back. I guess a little part of me still thinks that they just went on one of their very long holidays and will return suddenly as a surprise, like they always did. But I soon accepted it and now I live by a different rule, you only live once.

YOLO, it has changed my life and attitude for the better… or worse for everyone around me. Apparently the new Ciara, became an annoying little pest as my, oh-so-nice cousin said.

“Where are all my single ladies!” I screamed while closing the front door. “In the kitchen.” My aunt Clara replied. I rolled my eyes at the cliché response; “They just had to be in the kitchen…” I mumbled.

I walked towards the kitchen and saw Amber sitting by the table while Clara cooks.

I remember the times where I used to be attached to the hip with her, wherever she went I did to and vise versa. We were inseparable, still are. I helped Amber adjust to her new life without her sight. I went with her to learn Braille, created games so she still feels she can do normal things and even helped Clara raise money for Amber to get a Seeing Eye dog for her birthday. She named him Fido, who was currently lying on the floor next to her.

She said she didn’t want to burden us and that’s where I learnt a valuable lesson, my rule is that only when they ask for your help, then you help them, but otherwise leave them alone to learn by themselves. It gives them a sense of responsibility…but if they look like there’re really struggling; then help them when they are not looking. (Don’t tell Amber that!)

Snapping out of my daze, I slowly and quietly made my way behind Amber. We always played this game ever since I invented it, I would try to sneak up on Amber and if I scare her, she has to do what I want.

But if she doesn’t get scared, then she gets one of my precious Kit Kat’s. My addiction with them is beyond the level of Golem in Lord of the Rings.

With ninja skills, I crept behind her. Almost a foot away, with my hands ready for the pounce, I bent my knee to jump and then-“I know you’re behind me Ciara” -I let out the breath I was holding and gave up.

“How?” I whined and then proceeded to sulk in the chair next to her. “Well maybe it was the warning call when you entered the door or the very loud noises you make. You pick one.” She replied while munching on my Kit Kat that Clara gave her.

“I was humming mission impossible for your information.” I huffed and crossed my arms on the table. “Maybe next time Sweety.” Aunt Clara is what I call a gentle soul, to nice and caring. I swear she doesn’t have a bad bone in her body but…she does have a guilty one, if that exists.