chapter 8

Devon helped us out of the pool, and there I stood in front of Avan’s parent, drenched wet. “Hi Mrs and Mr Jackson.” I nervously smiled “I would have met you under more…dryer conditions” I looked down at my clothes but then back to them with a warm smile “But hey, what’s life without a few surprises?”

“Ciara Swan, at your service.” For added effect…I bowed dramatically.

The Jacksons grinned, “I love her already!” the Mrs said, “Call me Kate, and this is Steve” she pointed to her husband. “Welcome to the family.” She pulled me in for a back-breaking hug even though I was wet. “Wow, I feel so loved.” I winced when she held me tighter.

“Okay, sweety let go before you break her.” Steve couched Kate out of the hug, I took this time to move closer to Avan, out of reach of that women. “You have to stay for lunch” she left no room to say disagree; so I just nodded. The parents walked inside and I went over to Anya “Pss” I had to tug her clothes to pull her down because she was tall or maybe I was short…nah she’s tall.

She bent down and I whispered in her ear “It was Devon who pushed me in, wasn’t it?”

Anya chuckled and nodded, ok operation revenge is in motion.

I evilly laughed, and rubbed my hands together. I thought of ways to get Devon into the pool, but because I couldn’t overpower him, I was just going to have to use my brains.

So, I walked back to the edge of the pool and pretended to look for something, as I expected, Devon came over to me. “What you looking for?” he asked coming up next to me.

“I seem to have lost my bracelet in the pool, can you see it anywhere?” I smoothly lied, Devon bent over to get closer look at the water….wrong move buddy!

 I took a step back and lift my foot up and push his fat ass. I watched Devon fall in the water and if I wasn’t already wet then his splashes would have washed me away. “Son of a-“he surfaced and stood up.

Anya and Avan were laughing in the background.

“No swearing in the pool Devon.” I smirked, “While you’re down there, can you look for my imaginary bracelet. Alright princess” I gave him a wave and smugly walked away, I heard him get out of the pool and could practically feel the heavy vibration of the earth telling me that he is coming after me.

And he doesn’t sound happy.

Without a second thought, I hid behind Avan “Save me from the evil princess, forget about the dragon, it sucked anyway!” I exclaimed from behind Avan, I could feel the confusion coming off of him. Anya stood in the side lines watching in amusement, Devon made it in front of Avan and that’s where I panicked.

“Never mind, every man for himself!” I didn’t think and just pushed Avan into Devon, this gave me enough time to run inside the house through the backdoor that lead to the kitchen, where Avan’s parents were.

As soon as I saw them, I tried to act natural and discreetly make my way behind Kate. She seems like the one who wears the pants in the family. “Lovely weather we are having” I thought back to Pink Panther, and figured that this was the perfect conversation starter.

“Ciara!” Devon shouted as he ran in the kitchen, coming to a stop when he saw me behind his mother. His clothes were dripping water, I was a bit drier but still I wet the floor.

“Good heavens Devon, I could have sworn you were dry.” Kate was giggling behind her hand. Steve just shook his head smiling, but said nothing, he was most likely the quiet type, always let the wife do the talking. Anya and Avan came through the door and both took a seat next to Steve.