chapter 5

In the end I found Amber, patiently waiting on a bench outside the mall. I was extremely grateful when she didn’t tell her mother, but as a compromise she told Clara about the whole pregnant thing. I, of course, left the room to avoid further humiliation.

Monday came and I was heading to school, hoping to see certain someone if you know what I mean…*wink wink*

No not Avan, I meant Maya. Why the devil would I want to see him, after all we aren’t friends as he said but I’d like to think we are, he’s just in denial. He’ll come around eventually.

I parked the car and got off just in time to see Avan come out of his. Immediately I made a B-line towards him. What, just because I don’t want to see him, doesn’t mean I can’t pop in for a chat.

I came up behind him and said “Guess who” he didn’t say anything; actually he didn’t even turn around to face me.

He was talking to the person in the car but I knew he heard me. I peeked over his shoulder and saw Devon, without a second thought I pushed Avan out of the way, he didn’t expect it, and so he ended up almost tumbling to the ground. “Hey Devon” I waved through the passenger window.

“What is wrong with you women? God you are just so-Argh!” Avan was furious as he straightened up with the help of the car. I was slightly scared, while Devon found this amusing.

“I swear if you don’t leave me alone-“

“You’ll what, ignore me. Real mature Avan” I rolled my eyes at him “You know, you wouldn’t have much problems with me if you just accept being my friend.”

“Never!” he growled.

Shrugging I turned to Devon, who was watching our bickering “Is he always like this?” I curiously asked.

“No, Avan is more of the silent and keeps to himself type of guy. So it’s different to see him so riled up, especially by a girl. A cute girl might I add.” I blushed at his comment and also slightly scared to be hit on by a guy that could crush me with his pinky.

“I uh- wha.” I stammered, do I say thank you? I’ve never been in a situation where a guy flirts with me. Wait…is this even flirting, I don’t even know!

But luckily Avan came to my rescue and also saved me from making a fool out of myself.

But you do that all on your own.

Shut up conscious!

“Let’s go kitty,” Avan roughly grabbed my arm and before pulling away said to Devon “Tell Uncle Joe that Ciara will take me to my classes since we have the same ones.” He didn’t wait for a response as he tightly pulled me away from Devon.

But I didn’t get to say goodbye to Devon…Noooo!!!

“Hey-ouch, Avan you’re hurting my arm!” I pulled him to a stop in front of me. His face was hard, muscles tensed and the hand that wasn’t holding my arm was clenched. I knew he was pissed but I didn’t know why and by the looks of it…I wasn’t going to ask.

So I just un-wrapped his hand and placed my hand on the crook of his arm. Then I started to walk to our class, all the while ignoring the stares.

“Wow, everybody’s staring like we are going to break down and start dancing or something.” I whispered to Avan. Even though he was still made, he let out a small chuckle. “This is always going to happen every time you hang out with me.” his voice went hard as he said that.

“Eh I’m used to it. Which reminds me, did you just call me a kitty earlier?”

Avan smirked “You remind me of my cat twiggles, he is the most annoying thing I’ve ever met,” hey I’m not first, fist pump “Second to you of course” oh…