𝐹𝑖𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑖𝑟 𝑐𝑎𝑠𝑒

I S A B E L L A

He grabbed my hand in the last second.

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING. IZZY. ARE YOU OKAY?"

He was mad. But why though, it wasn't like he was my brother too. I didn't need another one of those watching out for me as if I was some cat being thrown into the mixer.

So I was hanging there, giving him a smile. I didn't know why I did. I didn't know why I even wanted this. Yet, I gave him a smile.

His strong arms pulled me up and onto the picnic blanket. It was soft and had a classic red and white pattern. A glass of water was situated next to him and a pillow. We both sat down, facing each other. His eyes were so pure and full of concern.

"I- I'm sorry. I was distracted." How could I explain to him what just happened. How could I explain voices in my head as I didn't even understand them myself. "Don't be sorry, just don't do that ever again. Okay?" He wasn't mad anymore, he was sad? Sad because of what? I didn't know why he acted like this, but he did. And it helped. A lot.

"Sure." I wasn't sure of my answer, I wasn't sure if my actions just a minute ago, still I sat here, acting like nothing happened.

"Why are your eyes all puffy, have you cried?" He saw me. He saw what I just had experienced, and I never knew that it was possible.

"No, dumbass. I punched myself in the face." I needed some humor in this conversation. Something to distract me, something to make me laugh even though it was not the time.
After 5 minutes of silence he asked, "Why did you cry, is everything alright?"

"Not really." I hesitated while saying this. I didn't want him to know what had happened at home, nor did I want any pity. He patted his legs and said "Come here."

"I don't really like-" He pulled me onto his lap and pulled me close.

He smells good, like dandelions, well the ones that the dogs didn't piss on. What was I thinking? This wasn't some kind of romantic moment. My brothers wouldn't even allow this happening. I couldn't even talk with boys.

"Now you do." He patted my head and I turned my head upwards to see his facial expression.

I wasn't some kind of puppy who needed attention.

Okay, I needed attention, but that wasn't the point.

"Now tell me, what's wrong." He slung his arms protectively around my chest and I felt his breath on my neck. I didn't stop starting at him.

At his sharp jawline, his small freckles under his eyes and on his nose, his brown hair that was tangled from the wind. His eyes looked down at me. His ivy green eyes. They were full of concern.

"I fell off the stairs." You could literally hear my sarcastic tone. My eyes wandered off to the ground and I ignored his stare.

"As if."

"Mhm."

"Izzy, tell me what happened, please." He nudged my shoulder a little which made me fall to the side and nearly on the ground until he pulled me up again.

I just didn't want to talk, I wanted to lay in his arms and look at the stars. No words, no conversation. Only pure silence. That was better than deep talk, it was better than any conversation, as it showed that people could communicate without using their words.

But that couldn't happen now, I needed to tell him at least something.

"My dad has a new girlfriend and all of my brothers are supporting as if they all forgot about my mom." I felt the pain in my chest as I said this.