A Girl (Request)

I don't remember exactly what he'd said that made me laugh, but it stopped when I heard the scream. It came from behind me, and I dropped the groceries in my arms onto the floor right inside his door and bolted down the steps and towards the sound.

I heard him calling my name, but I ignored it. The streetlights didn't do much for me because when I saw that man pushing that woman against that building, I didn't hesitate even though I couldn't see their faces at all. 

He turned towards me, and I calculated the number of steps until I would be close enough. Three, two, and I punched him in the face so hard he stumbled backwards and fell. I towered over him, not sure what to do next but defend both of the women in that situation. 

Niall ran up, and the man on the ground took off. All three of us were breathing heavily, but before Niall could get a word in, I turned to the woman.

"Are you alright?" I wondered, and she wiped a few tears from her cheeks. I stepped closer, making sure she wasn't bleeding or hurt badly. 

"Thank you so much," she sobbed, and I smiled lightly. If I could save a life, I was happy. When we made sure she would be safe getting home, we walked back to Niall's house, thankfully only a few blocks down. 

I picked up the groceries once more, feeling my knuckles ache slightly more than I'd anticipated. 

"You're always being so reckless," he spoke up, not having said a word since I'd taken off. I shrugged. 

"She could have been seriously hurt," I reminded him, starting to help him un-bag. We'd gone shopping for the vacation that we, including a few friends, were taking that next week and brought all the items back to his house since it was nearby. 

"And what about you?" he wondered, stopping to stare at me. I glanced at him, taking the pair of headphones I'd bought for myself and putting them in my pocket. 

"I could have taken him," I told him, gathering all the plastic bags into a ball. 

"Don't forget that you're a girl!" he yelled, and I missed the shot I was making towards the garbage. 

"It doesn't matter that he was a guy and I'm a girl, Niall. She was in trouble," I told him sternly, confused as to why he thought differently. 

"You take men too lightly! You could have been--" He stopped there, looking up at me staring at him with no clue as to why he was thinking that way. 

"You really don't understand," he sighed, rubbing his forehead. I watched him broaden his shoulders, trying to see past his hard eyes and find the Niall that had just made me laugh. 

"Until you admit you're wrong, forget about coming over." I took one look to make sure he wasn't joking, but I didn't like what I saw. 

I mashed my lips into a line to keep my tears in, grabbed my purse and walked out. I didn't understand why he was so mad at me when I'd saved someone. I was completely capable but his image of me seemed to have reduced to a little girl. 

Niall had picked me up in his car, so I walked home that night as it began to rain. I was really ticked off and really starting to regret punching that guy right on his cheekbone. 

.

I woke up the next morning to a loud crack of thunder, startled. It was still raining out. I checked the time, making sure I wasn't too late for breakfast. 

As I sat on my couch as it poured outside, Niall's eyes returned. He had been so mad. 

Ah, who needs him, I sighed to myself. I ate my cereal a little angrily, hearing the thunder rumble outside. I curled up on the couch and watched some television for a while until it started getting really windy and the news channels made my screen beep at me to tell me about the tornado watch.