Coming Back (Request)

I blinked at the amount of people walking the streets of New York City that day. Mel had said -- after she asked me for a small favor -- that most days weren't very busy. I begged to differ, personally. I almost felt like an inconvenience to all the people who had to walk around the sample stand I was running for Mel's cupcake shop.

No one had come up and asked for any yet, probably because I hadn't said anything to anyone. I just sat there looking bored, but I'd guessed it would be easy when she asked.

As the sun rose higher, a few people started to glance my way. Eventually, I took a mini cupcake for myself, discovering that even having sat out for half an hour, they still tasted good.

A little girl and her mom finally approached me, and I smiled. At least someone was interested.

"Hi," I let out, watching as they stared at the cupcakes in front of me.

"Would you like one?" I asked the little girl, grinning at her and seeing her return it. She nodded quickly, and I handed one to her.

"Thank you," the mother smiled, taking one for herself before walking off.

A few others came by, a couple leaving without even saying hi, and some staying to speak their opinions about the sample.

Catching my eye by how quickly he was walking, a guy with bright blonde hair came into view. He glanced at me with a stern look, seeming like he was about to be late for something. I furrowed my eyebrows, seeing him slow considerably, not breaking the gaze between us.

"Hello," I spoke, chuckling a little as he slowed to a halt in front of me. His expression softened, and he blinked.

"Hi," he exhaled, giving me a small smile. "Could I have one?"

"Of course," I nodded, and he rose a hesitant hand to take one. He popped it in his mouth, his expression brightening even further.

"I'll be coming back soon, so don't go anywhere," he told me suddenly, his face returning to being focused as he jogged off. I furrowed my eyebrows, laughing a little. That was strange. Coming back?

I walked inside for a minute to let Mel know that I was nearly out of sample. She quickly nodded at me, disappearing behind a door to get some more.

I sat back in my car outside, greeted once more by the sound of loud horns and smell of street food.

Another half an hour passed after Mel brought out more for me. Not too many people came or were really on the sidewalks anymore, so I started to getting a little drowsy.

"I'm back," I heard abruptly, blinking quickly to take in that blonde guy who'd appeared again. Breathless, he smiled widely at me, seeming to be excited to be back.

"Hi," I dragged out, furrowing my eyebrows at him once more.

"Well?" I stared at him, confused.

"What?" I wondered, rubbing one of my eyes tiredly.

"Can I have another one?" he answered, and I chuckled.

"I'm pretty sure you're only allowed one sample," I told him, and he pouted at me. What was he trying to do?

"Please?" he asked, widening his eyes. I tried to hold back my laugh, failing as I turned my head and nearly snorted.

"Fine," I shrugged, expecting him to be excited again and not being disappointed. He shoved it enthusiastically into his mouth once more, and I rolled my eyes a little.

"Have a few more ready, I'll be back!" he shouted, already running off in the opposite direction. I was about to ask where he had to go but gave up, knowing then that he actually would be coming back.

The day dragged on, and I eventually had to stop to eat lunch. The stand closed at three, but he hadn't come back yet.

As soon as I sat back down in that chair that was beginning to hurt to sit on, I looked up and he was there. I raised my eyebrows, seeing him waiting eagerly for me to say he could have one.

"So?" he spoke up, and I sighed.

"Go ahead." He ate the third one for that day, smiling at me.

"These cupcakes are really good," he nodded, and I chuckled. He was amusing and cute, so I played along with him.

"Then why don't you go inside and buy a dozen instead of coming back like this?" I suggested, leaning on the counter of the stand.

"Where would the fun be in that?" he laughed, walking off again.

"Where are you even going?" I yelled towards him. He turned back towards me.

"Wouldn't you like to know!" he shouted back. I glared at him playfully, breathing out a small laugh to myself.

I waited for him to come back again, but by the time he had, we were closing down the stand. I was cleaning off the counter and had eaten the remainder of the cupcakes when he appeared again.

"Aw, you're done?" he whined, and I smiled at him, shrugging.

"Do you have anymore for me?" he wondered, and I grinned a little wider as he leaned on the stand to be closer to me.

"Let me just check," I spoke, leaning down behind the stand like I would have a hidden cupcake left. "Yeah, I've got one," I lied, smiling as I quickly popped back up and kissed him on the cheek. Luckily, since my aim had been a little off, I hadn't quite caught his lips. Nearly, but not completely.

I pulled back quickly, going back to wiping down the counter and waving to Mel to let her know I was done. I looked back to the guy I'd just kissed even though I didn't know his name, seeing his face brighter than ever.

"I'm coming back tomorrow," he nodded, certain of himself. I laughed a little, shaking my head.

"This was a one time thing," I told him, and he shook his head as well.

"Well this wasn't," he objected, pointing between the two of us. I let my heart do what it liked for a few seconds, and I then I smiled, too.

"Okay, I'll be back tomorrow," I nodded, unsure of what I was really doing.

"Good," he breathed out, and I bit my tongue a little too hard. I looked down, hoping Mel didn't send someone out in that moment. I heard his footsteps start to leave once more, and I looked back up at him quickly.

We grinned at each other, and as he disappeared for the last time, I stood there wondering what I'd gotten my self into.

.

.

thanks to 12kaelyn34 for requesting! so sorry for the wait, but I hope you like it!

i love you all so much, and I'm sorry i haven't posted these past couple of days! but, i'm warning you now, from today on out, i'll be posting 2 or 3 a day. And even if I do that, i still have to write a TON if I wanna make it! I can do it!

20 days to write 58! LETS GO

Mel x

p.s. can you like send me little messages of motivation and support over the next week? i might it sgjnsldjgnskdgfsnkgh