9/11 (Request) (Part One)

BEFORE YOU READ: the 9/11 attack is a very touchy topic, and i don't know much about it, so please excuse anything i get wrong. i don't mean to offend anyone. please read at your own risk.

.

He was working at the World Trade Center at the time. No one saw it coming.

We were going to meet up at his work for lunch, seeing as there was a restaurant at the top of the building. We had been a few times, and even though it was overly fancy and expensive, we enjoyed going.

But that day, I felt it in the air. Something was different.

I liked to walk there, not bothering to drive through the busy streets of New York City. Walking gave me a chance to think about how much I liked Niall, hoping we could be together for a long while.

I smiled up at the clear, blue sky, wondering how my life was so perfect. It was only the middle of September, but the heat was still full-on. I loved hot weather, trying to soak in the happiness and sunshine when it happened.

I could see the two buildings from my position in the street, but I heard it first. The crash was louder than most things, sending me and many people searching for its origin.

When I looked up to see the building in smoke and flames, I was only confused. What had happened?

"Was that a plane?" someone shouted, everyone else on the street silent. I saw the billows of smoke only continue to rise, and then I felt the panic I should have felt immediately. My stomach dropped, my eyes widening.

Niall's in there! my mind reminded me, but I had no clue of what to do.

Everyone was in awe of the terrible sight, standing there like a painting and looking up at what was happening. I didn't think to move until the second plane hit. Tears overflowed quickly, my heart pounding like I couldn't breathe.

I started running, faster and faster, hoping that I could do something. But as I got closer, I saw everyone only going in the opposite direction, trying to get away from the danger. I wanted Niall to do the same, but I didn't know if he was safe yet.

I tried wiping the tears from my face, stumbling and bumping into someone who was yelling about getting out of there.

But I continued on, rounding the corner and seeing the base of both the towers. The whole city seemed to be in panic, but it felt like the whole world.

In all of the smoke, I found it quite hard to breathe, so I stopped to try to catch my breath. I was surprised I still had my purse in my hands, coughing out my lungs as I glanced to make sure it was still there. Someone flashed past me, but I was hacking too hard to see if they were okay.

When I looked up at the building, it seemed hopeless. My eyes held more tears, hoping Niall could save himself somehow, someway.

I glanced behind me, watching the whole population pushing away and out, leaving me alone. When I saw his unmistakable, bright blonde hair tearing down the sidewalk, I wanted to cry.

"Niall!" I screamed, the syllables echoing off the buildings that surrounded us. He made an effort to stop right then, flipping around with a terrified face. I could tell he was hurt and out of breath because when he tried to say my name, it barely came out.

I ran towards him faster than I had been, crashing into him and squeezing him against my chest. He was sobbing pretty loudly, his body shaking.

"It was terrifying," he choked out, pulling away. I watched him wipe the tears from his face, shaking his head. "People were screaming, but luckily I was below the impact point. It was a plane, right?" he confirmed, still wanting facts even though he was in shock and probably needed to go to the hospital.

I nodded, touching his face. My relief was unparalleled.

"I ran all the way here to try to get you out," I smiled, wheezing a little. He nodded, sighing loudly, then coughing. I put his arm across my shoulders, starting to walk in the opposite direction.

"You know, I was going to propose later tonight, but I'll probably be in the hospital," he grumbled, speaking like that was more important. If the country wasn't under attack at that moment, it might have been a little more important. But that wasn't the case.

"Right now, I'm just glad you're alive," I spoke sternly, looking at him. He chuckled lightly, causing him to need to cough once more.

"You're so cute when you're worried." I blushed, even though we both should have been running for our lives. Anything could have happened in that moment.

I heard it, once again, a noise I didn't want to. I turned my head quickly to watch the building begin to collapse in on itself.

"We need to get-" I was cutoff by Niall taking my hand and sprinting towards a sturdy-looking building a little ways up the street.

We pulled closed the door as the dust and smoke rushed through the street, and I couldn't fathom the amount of casualties and damage.

Niall saw my face, my thoughts coming through, hugging me tightly.

"It'll all be okay," he said optimistically. I buried my face in his shoulder, wanting it all to stop.

We never forgot that day.

.

.

i'm sorry for anyone who knew anyone who suffered from 9/11. i was only a year old when it happened, but i know that it was devastating and has caused a lot of pain. i'm sorry

thanks to Sky_Elizabeth for requesting this! sorry if it wasn't quite what you wanted and sorry for the wait!

i love you all so much thank you for 2.2k on this book already! i'm excited to see this book climb higher and higher, considering more people know about it already. i had like 30 parts out and only a few thousand reads with my first book :D :D :D

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT REQUESTING, KEEP IN MIND I HAVE 40+ REQUESTS IN MY DRAFTS AT THE MOMENT. i will update everyday (or try) but even still, that's a 40 day wait if you request right now. i would suggest waiting until i've caught up abit to request if i were you :)

Mel x sorry for the long note babes