Stay (Request)

When I zipped closed my suitcase, I guess I covered up the sound of the front door opening. I was going to visit my parents for a few days, but I'd neglected to tell Niall, having just been invited and received the tickets that morning.

I pulled the full luggage off of our bed, lugging it towards the door when I just about headbutted Niall. His eyes were wide but bright, not having seen me all day.

"Hey, babe," he smiled, leaning in to kiss my cheek like he always did. But his eyes traveled down to the suitcase next to me, halting his progress to making my heart race.

"What's that for?" he wondered, kissing my cheek anyway but not making my heart race for that reason. I hadn't told him. I'd forgotten to text him or call him to let him know, but I was already ready to leave.

"I'm heading home for a few days," I almost whispered, seeing his eyes significantly darken. He backed up to look at me as a whole.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he wondered, and I couldn't tell if he was mad or not. I furrowed my eyes, blinking.

"It's been a busy day," I replied almost dubiously, a lame excuse for just plain forgetting. He mashed his lips together, widening his stance a little.

"I thought we were going to decorate for Christmas tomorrow," he spoke, raising his eyebrows when I had no answer.

"And clean out that closet the next day?" I twisted my lips, looking down.

"I'm sorry, I just found out--" He didn't give me a chance to finish, looking hurt.

"Whatever, do what you want without me," he spat, stalking past me and ramming into my shoulder as he went to our room.

I still stared at the ground, a gathering of tears in my eyes, my mouth slightly open. I controlled my breathing, convincing myself I shouldn't cry. I was disappointed in myself, but I was also upset for Niall because I didn't want to make him feel abandoned. I let my hand slip off the handle of my suitcase, turning the way that he'd walked after a few moments.

It felt like years that I stepped down the hall back towards him, trying to be quiet but also contemplating what to do. I couldn't leave him like that. I couldn't leave feeling like that.

I finally arrived at the door, leaning against it gently. The cool of the surface numbed my cheek and fingertips, and I pressed my ear to it to try to hear anything. Silence rang out even though it felt as if we could see through the door.

"Hey," I spoke up, my voice breaking a little. I swallowed, my eyelashes absorbing some of the tears as I blinked. Stepping back from the door, I sighed a little loudly. I'd really meant to tell him. Just as I was about to check if he'd locked it, the doorknob turned and revealed my husband.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, staring back at me with sad eyes. "I'm being selfish to want you to stay. It was stupid of me to think I mattered more to you than this trip." As I heard those words, a few tears finally dropped, jerked by my sudden movement as I hugged him.

I wanted us to stay like that, squeezing him.

"I'll miss you, too," I let out over his shoulder. He then squeezed right back, making my tears change their mood.

Even though I'd be far away in only a few hours, the imprint his arms made around my waist and his lips on mine would stay with me wherever I went.

.

.

thanks to crazymofos1DNiall for requesting! sorry for the wait, but I hope you like it!

i love you all! look! an update! more to come!

i'm going to see mockingjay part two tonight! anyone else excited to see it?

update on the crisis; 24 days for 59 imagines. if i want to get there, my calculator says i have to post 2 and a half imagines a day xD I have faith!

Mel x