Forgotten

I opened my laptop, sighing.

For some reason, I had been thinking about him a lot that week. Blonde guys walking by, skinny jeans, a smile that made me do the same; the weirdest and randomest things would remind me of him.

He had liked me at one point, and I grew to do the same. I left abruptly, never getting the chance to say goodbye. I hadn't got in contact with him due to procrastination and fear. I knew he would be over me.

I opened Facebook, clicking through to send him a message. My head had been overflowing with thoughts, so I just started writing. Somehow, it ended up as a poem of sorts.

---

for some reason

I think about you a lot.

even though i left your life,

somehow you're still in mine.

it wasn't much of a relationship,

but it was enough to get me through high school.

you actually cared,

unlike a lot of people.

it's a common story.

the girl wants the guy back but he's forgotten,

which you probably have.

but that story's grown old like a failed dream.

the most upsetting stories

are the ones that have happened to you.

and the most heartbreaking poems

are ones that don't rhyme.

---I sent it even though I thought it was stupid, thinking he would probably never get it.

And I was right.

But a few years later, my good friend from where I had lived when I knew him called me and said I should visit. It sounded like a great last minute, risky endeavor, so I did it.

I stayed at her apartment, and we did too many fun and random things to recall.

I was at the local coffee shop early one morning to grab her favorite coffee before she woke up, when I suddenly saw him.

All but my pounding heart froze, wondering if he would even remember me in the slightest. His eyes met mine as I continued to stare at him, and I let my grin show through.

Abandoning the whole reason I was there, I walked over to him. He hugged me, squeezing harder than I expected and getting my hopes up.

"What are you doing here?" he chuckled, stepping back to look at me. I blushed, suddenly thinking about that night we kissed.

"Visiting an old friend," I shrugged, smiling. He nodded, smiling.

"Did you ever get my message on Facebook?" I asked, my eyes widening as soon as I had. It was like my body went on auto-pilot and my brain decided it had all the control.

"Recently?" I shook my head, hiding my shaking hands. Nervous levels had always been high with me.

"It was a few years ago, so never mind," I laughed, trying to brush it to the side.

"Oh. I forgot the password and never got around to making another account or trying to get it back," he sighed, shrugging. I rolled my eyes playfully, knowing that he would do that.

"Why? Was it important?" he urged, and I snorted.

"Not at all." He nodded, then smiled mischievously.

"Then what was it about?" he wondered, stepping closer to me. I shrugged.

"It. . ." I contemplated telling him how I still felt, but it seemed inappropriate, seeing how it had been so long since we had dated. "It was nothing," I finally said. He gave me a look like he knew I was lying.

"I want to know. If you spent enough time to send it to me it must have been important in some way," he pointed out, and I chewed on my lip. I thought about telling him it just said hi, but I knew he would tell that I was lying.

I took in a deep breath, ready to recite the poem. I had looked at it a million times over those years, looking to see if he responded, so I knew it pretty well.

I said it to him, watching his expression turn from happy to confused to guilty.

"And the most heartbreaking poems are the ones that don't rhyme," I finished, seeing him frown at the ground. He kicked at the floor, his hands in his pockets.

"Niall?" I called, hoping I didn't make him angry. He looked up, seeming upset, and then hugged me, squeezing harder than before.

We stayed like that for a few seconds, and I desperately hoped he would tell me he thought about me too but not in that way so I could move on with my life and know that he was over me.

And what he said wasn't that, but it was so much better. He let his breath out, speaking in a broken voice.

"I didn't forget."

.

.

thank you so much for reading! I love you guys so much. i'll try to get double updates going after christmas.

if you liked it, leave a comment and don't forget to vote :)

and have a Merry Christmas!

Mel xx

p.s. imagine tomorrow, too, also not a request :D :D :D