Study (Request)

I walked into my sister's dorm, setting, or more like throwing, my books down.

"I don't want to do this, Mel," I sighed, my shoulders slumping. She rolled her eyes, pulling out her phone. "And please stop calling it 'Study Buddy Time.'" She chuckled.

"The guys came up with that one, and it just stuck, Kayla," she reminded me, and I rolled my eyes back at her. "And besides, studying is good for you," she smirked playfully, and I groaned as she dialed a number and put the phone to her ear.

"Hey. Yeah. Are you coming?" she spoke, leaning on the counter of the small kitchen.

"Sweet. See you soon," she smiled, ending the call. "They're in the elevator," she told me, and I fell backwards into the couch.

"I came to the same college as you so I could enjoy your company, not despise it," I sighed, my legs dangling off the arm of the couch.

"Sure," she chuckled, running towards it when she heard the doorbell ring.

I heard them all come in, five guys and three other girls so that everyone had a partner. I sat on the couch like a normal person, grabbing my homework from my things.

"Kayla," Melody started, and I stood up. She'd talked about this group of friends for a long time.

"This is Liam, Niall, Harry, Louis, Zayn--" I stopped listening halfway, wondering how she managed to get that many hormones to get along.

"Nice to meet you guys," I smiled anyway, seeing their short smiles come back. They looked worn out, but I couldn't say I wasn't either.

"This is my little sister, Kayla," she finished, and I threw her a glare.

"I'm not that little," I half-teased.

"Two years," she shrugged, mine following. "Let's get started!" she spoke enthusiastically, and they all smiled a little brighter. 

We all sat down on the floor in front of the couch, spreading out in an oblong oval formation. I couldn't remember anyone's name, so I didn't really ask for help until someone would offer. 

But eventually, I was thinking back to when I'd walked in the door, annoyed, and I didn't feel that way anymore. As I took another sip of the lemonade Melody'd bought, I wondered why I'd become so enthusiastic as well. I'd begun to envy Mel for having those wonderful friends and planning that night and buying the drinks and snacks. 

I took a minute as I was getting out my science book to think. 

Is it the food? I asked myself. I glanced at the brownies on the table. Eh, I've tasted better. 

Is it me starting to actually like school and studying? I asked myself, cringing immediately. Heck no. 

Is it the setting? I took a second to glance around the room as I opened up the textbook. Her dorm was certainly nice, but nothing really made me feel any better than when I'd walked in. No. 

Is it the people? I furrowed my eyebrows, looking at their faces, seeing that they'd started to lighten up. Maybe it is. But who in particular? I wondered, finding myself beginning to watch each of them intently. The girls had resorted to talking about the exams, but the guys were a little more into the studying. I focused on each one until I got to him. Everyone else seemed dull compared to him. Why did he have such a bright smile? Why did it seem like he changed the atmosphere when I looked at him? Why him?

It seemed like I could strike up conversation with him at any moment. He was drawing me in with his aura. He seemed like he'd taught everyone more than all the teachers at that college combined. 

When he caught me staring, for some odd reason, despite all those things I'd just thought about, I expected him to find it strange or frown. 

But all my doubts and questions and wonders somehow seemed resolved when he smiled. 

I felt my heart almost collapse, my chest caving under the weight of his smile. I quickly put my hand over the struggling organ, looking down as my breathing became rapid. 

Despite the failure of my heart and lungs, my brain knew what it wanted. It wanted more Study Buddy Time. 

.

.

thanks to goodkangaroo for requesting! not quite sure where you went or why you deactivated your account, babe, but I hope you liked it and I hope you're alright! 

i love you all! sorry for the late imagine today! i'll do better in the future! 

this is amazing, hopefully for the both of us 

Melody xxx

p.s. i love how i can fit myself into almost every imagine