Talking (Request)

I sat down at the bar, sighing involuntarily at the weight on my shoulders from that week that held me in the seat.

"Hey, Niall," Ollie spoke up, and I quickly looked up at him from staring down pitifully. I furrowed my eyebrows, folding my arms on the surface in front of me.

"I didn't know you were working tonight," I spoke, and he shrugged, pulling out my favorite drink without me even saying anything.

"Mel got sick, so I had to take over," he told me, and I nodded, glancing up at the television over Ollie's head. An American football game was on, and I rolled my eyes and looked away. If nothing good was on, I just sat there and organized my thoughts until I felt like it was the right time to head home. 

I graciously took the drink Ollie gave me, thinking about getting some food but deciding against it. I didn't want to be there for that long. My thoughts were quickly becoming destructive. 

As if someone knew what I was thinking, a girl sat down next to me, brightening my atmosphere a little bit just by her eyes. I took small peeks at her occasionally, wondering why she'd sat down right next to me when there were many other open seats. She'd been keeping her eyes on one thing, so I followed her line of vision to the television, readjusting myself in my seat. I didn't know many girls interested in sports. 

She ordered her drink in a quiet voice, taking a sip and still seeming to be staring at the screen above us from the corner of my eye. 

"You guys suck, oh my gosh," she let out in a small whisper, hardly audible or distinguishable from the noise of others talking behind us. I furrowed my eyebrows, turning my head completely towards her to make sure she wasn't talking to me. I saw her eyes still glued towards the television, beginning to pay attention as Ollie poured me another round of the drink. 

I watched the team that was losing, agreeing with her statement. She would shake her head every once and a while, making small remarks. I could tell she knew what she was talking about, finding myself imagining her coming to that bar every time there was a game on. 

As her cup emptied quicker and quicker, her words came out faster, louder, and a lot more sarcastic. 

"You wanna trip again?" she let out, nearly yelling it and moving in her seat a little. I let out a chuckle a little too loudly, turning my head to pretend I had just coughed. I waited for a few seconds, returning to looking at screen and glancing at her, thinking she hadn't heard me. For all I know, she would have yelled at me, too.

But I looked over and she was smiling a little, not meeting my eyes but telling me something mentally.

And for the next few minutes, with every comment she made, she waited for my reaction, purposefully making her remarks funnier and more ridiculous. She said something at one point that made absolutely no sense but I could not stop laughing. I wouldn't be able to tell you what it was because I was pretty drunk, but I can tell you that the smile that she finally looked at me with made me melt.

"I am pretty funny, I know," she grinned, finishing her drink. I shook my head, trying to repress the smile that I never thought I would have worn that day.

As the final few moments of the game finished, we sat and watched in silence. I was surprised when the team she was rooting for won. She pushed her cup away from her, sliding her jacket back on from it sitting on the back of her chair. 

Just as she was about to walk away, I felt my heart lunge. 

"Nothing more to say?" I spoke up, blinking as she turned around. She shrugged, smirking.

"I could say abit more," she let out, coming back to stand next to me. I was about to speak up and ask her for her number when she beat me to it. Kind of.

"Or I could just do this," she shrugged again, leaning over and kissing me. Granted, we were both drunk, so I don't think it meant much at the time. When she pulled away, we were both surprised. 

But as time when on, her voice became increasingly familiar. And the only thing we enjoyed more than watching football together was talking to each other until words weren't enough. 

.

.

thanks to indie_gingerr for requesting! i hope you liked it, babe! 

so sorry for the lack of updates! 

PLEASE check out the announcement that I made in my third book! i told everyone that I will be posting in this book and my third starting on the 15th of december! 

thank you all for reading and making my life 200% more enjoyable 

Mel x