What I Gained (Request)

"We'll be upstairs!" I yelled to Zayn, the only other person who was home. Niall trudged up the stairs with me to my room.

He and I had a project due the next day that we hadn't even started on. Needless to say, I was very stressed. But something about Niall's personality and attitude made me calm and happy.

I liked him, and I think he mentioned something about liking me, too. I didn't want that to get in the way of our friendship. If we dated each other, that would mean we would spend more time together and be even closer. It wasn't different, just more. And I was patient with growing in that direction.

"I'll be checking on you to see if you're actually doing work!" Zayn yelled back, and I groaned.

"He's always so annoying," I sighed, rolling my eyes as I shut the door. Zayn was my older brother by one year, but he thought it must have been twenty years. He acted like I knew nothing about anything and that I couldn't handle myself.

Niall chuckled.

"Does he care that we're alone?" he asked, flopping down on my bed. I blushed, turning away and pretending to be looking for something.

"Probably. I'm not a horn dog, and he should know that," I spoke, taking out the posterboard from my closet that I had already started to work on.

"How long can you stay?" I wondered, thinking that it would take us much longer than only a few hours. It was six, and then sun was already setting since it was still winter.

"As long as you want me to," he shrugged, and I felt my stomach flip at the thought of him possibly staying over. I pushed that thought away, knowing his parents probably wouldn't let him.

"Let's get started then," I smiled, taking out the textbook and all my laptop.

After five minutes, Zayn pounded on the door. I quickly got it, glaring at him as he rudely interrupted us.

"What are you even here for?" he asked, staring at Niall. They had never really gotten along at school, but Niall wasn't the problem. Maybe Zayn knew that I liked him.

"We're working on our global project, jerk," I sneered, barely saying the insult at the end. He still heard me, that idiot.

"I'm in charge. You'd better watch your mouth and hurry up and get your stupid project done," he spat, looking like he wanted to hit me. I blinked when he slammed the door, pushing down my tears so Niall wouldn't have to see me cry. We had been friends since the start of the year, but we weren't as close as most people would describe best friends.

"Why is he so rude to you?" he wondered out loud, and I shook my head, sitting back down next to him. He sighed, getting back to decorating the board.

We worked for a long time, Zayn occasionally walking by and listening through the door. We didn't pretend to be doing something we weren't because we were working as hard as we could. We were discussing how to present it, and the next time he came by, we were already practicing.

It was a relatively easy project, so it didn't take long, but I hated standing up in front of people. But I knew, with Niall by my side, I would be just fine.

He was laying on the ground, claiming he was exhausted, but he seemed hyper enough to me. I laid down next to him, smiling.

"Tomorrow will be fine," he told me, and I sighed.

"If Zayn hasn't yelled at me throughout the night and kept me up." He kind of growled right then, sitting up and looking over me.

"Stand up to him. He doesn't control what you do or anything else in your life," he said sternly. I could barely blink before he continued. "I'm afraid he'll get in the way of what you want." I blushed immediately, seeing his proximity, knowing that I could easily kiss him.

"Because I want it, too." And with that, I pulled him down to meet my lips with his, hearing him be surprised.

That lasted about two seconds before the door flew open. Before I could even sit up all the way, Zayn grabbed my wrist, pulling me off the ground and towards the door.

"Let go!" I screamed, trying to writhe from his grip.

"You're too young for this!" he yelled back, and I finally got away from him. I didn't try to lock the door, but I actually said something.

"He's the only one who gets it!" I rushed out, opening my eyes to see his shoulders slightly slouch.

"He's the only one I can talk to when you basically abuse me. He understands me, and he's my best friend," I explained, knowing Niall himself could hear everything.

"That's not even important right now. I don't deserve to be pushed around by you. I can handle myself," I finished, breathing out before turning around to go back in my room.

"I make it hard for you, don't I?" Zayn spoke softly, and I stared at Niall as he urged me to go on.

"Very," I nodded, looking briefly back at my brother.

"I'm sorry," I heard him say. I was surprised to say the least. "I'll try to be nicer and not cut you down and not govern your life and let you live it," he sighed, running a hand through his hair. I knew that he understood right then.

All I could do was smile, saying a quiet thank you.

"And I'll try to be nicer to your friend over there," he shrugged, giving me a small smile as he nodded at Niall.

And when I closed the door, I felt extremely happy. I had gained a brother and a boyfriend.

.

.

thanks to Super_Ziall for requesting this! I'm sorry for the wait, but I hope you like it!

this one didn't come out that well but

thanks for reading guys! I love you all so much. I know you all want me to take a break, but if I took a break, people would be waiting nearly two months for their imagines. I can't do that to them

Mel xx