Remember (Request)

I'd been in the hospital for only a few months, but that was plenty of time for Niall -- I think that was his name? -- to try all sorts of different things.

The doctor told me that I'd been in a car accident and hit my head a little too hard. Amnesia was what they called it, but I called it a pain-in-the-neck. They would ask me questions about my life before I'd gotten in the wreck, but most of those questions had something to do with Niall.

Apparently, from what my parents and the doctor had told me, we had been dating for three months before I lost my memory. I didn't remember anything like that. I hadn't wanted a relationship at all! I had been trying to get a job last I remembered.

But in those few months at that hospital, they tried to figure out if they could get my memory back. Niall was more of a trial and error kind of guy.

He would come in my room at strange hours and kiss me or hold my hand or show me a picture and try to make me remember him. Each of those times resulted in him being escorted out of the building.

I tried to remember, but nothing was there. It felt like nothing had been. I didn't feel a loss, but sometimes when Niall would come in with my mom and dad, his eyes would be watery. I felt terrible, but what could I do?

I was finally released from that stupid hospital room, and they gave me my belongings back, mostly things I'd been wearing, that I'd had during the crash.

A jacket, my favorite one, my old ballcap, and a ring.

"I don't think this is mine, sir," I told him, and he shrugged, telling me to keep it and going back to his job. I held onto the ring, thinking it was quite pretty, going downstairs to meet my parents.

"Ready to go, sweety?" my mom asked, placing a hand on my back as we walked out of the building doors.

"Yeah," I smiled, glad to be leaving. "Let's go home." The car ride was long, but it was good to get some fresh air and get back to normal life.

When we stopped at an apartment complex, I furrowed my eyebrows at them.

"Why are we stopping here?" I wondered, and my dad laughed.

"You live here with Niall, remember?" my mom spoke, and I felt my heart drop. I'd have to live with him, too?

"What? Why? We'd only been dating for three months!" I spewed, confused and not willing to live with someone that was constantly trying to make me remember a life that the doctors said I probably wouldn't.

"Emily, we told you three months so you wouldn't be so overwhelmed," she told me, and I felt my world expand. How much of my life had I forgotten?

"It was a little more than a year, honey," she sighed, and I shook my head, hearing her inhale to say more. "You and Niall are engaged."

And that was it. The ring in my pocket gained meaning, and the determination he had did, too.

I pushed open the apartment door, finding it unlocked. I wondered how much he'd loved me, or how excited he really was that I was coming home.

I walked right past him, sitting on the couch watching derby, and closed the door of the first bedroom I found.

I didn't really know why, but I cried for a long time. I slid the ring on my finger to see if I remembered anything, but still, no.

When my head was pounding from crying so hard, I sat up and dried my tears. I would have to live with what I had, no matter if I liked it or not. It was already decided for me.

I turned the light on in the room, seeing that it was probably the room we'd shared together. I saw my clothes, my books, my makeup, and part of me wished I could remember. It seemed like a cozy little life I'd had. A fiancée, an apartment, and probably a nice job. If only I could have remembered.

I saw back down on the bed, the reflection of the light off something hitting my eye for a second. It had been a picture frame on Niall's bedside table. I could tell which was which because the earrings from my grandma were on mine.

I walked over and picked up the picture, smiling immediately.

It was the picture Niall and I had taken while we were on the beach.

That day was the best. We hadn't been engaged for even a week, but we took a vacation. It took us a while to decide since we'd both wanted to go everywhere. We went to the ocean, had a picnic in the sand, and-- I stopped myself, nearly dropping the picture.

How do I know this? My heart pounded faster as I recalled more and more and more of that day. And then it just came back.

I remember.

I slowly opened the door, turning the handle quietly. I walked back into the living room, hearing Niall sigh as the team he had been rooting for missed their chance at a point. I stood just in his peripheral vision, and he almost jumped.

"Emily, are you--" I took that chance to interrupt him.

"July 11th," I spoke, and I could almost hear him tense up.

"Emily?" he asked again, and I watched silently as he stood up to stand in just in front of me.

"Our wedding date," I sighed out, no longer being able to hold back the grin on my face. His eyes widened, his hands reaching out for me.

He didn't waste time, kissing me as hard as he had the first time I met him after I'd woken up.

And right then, we both remembered just how much we loved each other.

.

.

thanks to emilystylesluv for requesting! I hope you liked it and sorry for the wait!

aw man and this one connects to the imagine I posted on December 15th in my first book as a farewell message to you guys oh no oh no i'm crying

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH I'M SO HAPPY NOW THAT I'M WRITING AHH

Mel xx