Chapter 11

Burning flesh. That's it.

It filled my nose with an overwhelming stench, causing me to breathe through my mouth. It didn't help at all, I could still smell it, and now a few people were throwing up, which made everything worse. It took all of my strength not to start puking all over my lap. For this exact reason, I had avoided the little girl, who was still in the same spot she had been shot. When Kyle started gagging he had moved a little away from me, but still held my hand.

Black ski mask had brought the torch down to the left side of the old man's face, and now I could barely recognize him. His whole left side of his face was dripping like wax to the floor. He had died a little while ago, but his mouth was still open in a scream. Black ski mask continued to go even closer to the man's face, so now we could start to see the old man's skull creeping beneath his wax-like flesh. Not only was there a puddle of blood from the last guy, but now they had melted flesh to deal with. I feel bad for whoever had to clean all that up.

The stench even started to make me tear up. I sat in a very tight ball, trying to take shallow breaths through my mouth. I had also stopped looking at the horrors in front of me. When I finally heard the old man's body being dragged off to the corner, I opened my eyes to see Black ski mask talking with Vendetta. Or I mean, Vendetta was talking to him.

I couldn't hear him over everyone's crying and gagging. Vendetta took a quick glance at us and then did a quick nod in our direction. Black ski mask turned around to look at us and then turned back to Vendetta. He nodded his head to Vendetta before walking towards the table to put the torch back in its spot. After getting his approval, Vendetta walked over to us and stopped right in front of me and Kyle. Kyle had stopped his gagging and had returned to my side. Vendetta looked between us before bending over and grabbing my arm. He pulled me barely two yards before Kyle got up.

"Let her go." Kyle said, taking a small step forward. I had no idea if Vendetta had a weapon on him.

Black ski mask had come forward and put a hand on Kyle's shoulder and pushed him back down. "Sit down."

"Where are you taking her?" Kyle asked. He looked straight past Black ski mask and at Vendetta.

Vendetta didn't respond, he just turned and continued to drag me, but towards the stairs. Was he letting me go?

"Where are we going?" I asked, and then my heart plummeted. Was he taking me somewhere to do-

We had reached the top of the stairs and I was really shocked to see what was on the other side of the basement door.

There was a hallway. A normal hallway. Not something you would associate with a murderer. The walls of the hallway even had paintings on the walls.

Vendetta continued to drag me up more stairs and another hallway, into a room. A bedroom. My heart almost stopped when he shoved me into the room and I looked at the bed.

The room was very simple, with a warm yellow paint and a huge bed against the far wall. To the right of the bed was a small wooden nightstand, and hanging above the bed is a painting of a sunset. Also to the right was a closed window, I'm almost certain it was locked. The room was quite nice and warm, or at least I would have thought so, but Vendetta had closed the door and locked it.

I jumped and spun around at the sound of the lock turning.

He turned around to me and put his hands up and in front of him. Almost like he was approaching a wild animal. I quickly looked around the room for any kind of weapon I could use, but found nothing. A few tears started their slow trek down my cheeks, as he took a step towards me. I took a step equal to his and bumped into the bed. I took a look over to the window and debated whether or not I should see if the window was really locked. In the time it took for me to look over, Vendetta had taken another few steps towards me, and now he was right in front of me.

Before I even thought about anything, my fight or flight instinct took control. There was no way to run from this, so I went to punch him. Vendetta grabbed my wrists with both of his, and I was so off balance that I fell back, making him also fall on top of me. My tears started streaming even more, as he pinned my hands above my head. I tried my best to wriggle free, but that only made him squeeze my wrists even harder.

"Don't be difficult, Hazel." He spoke from behind the mask.

All of a sudden I stopped moving. How had he known my name?

After seeing the confusion on my face, he used his left hand to hold both my hands and then used his right to reach up and take off his mask.