Chapter 25

Blood erupted from the wound in his chest and flowed onto the dark sheets of the bed. He fell back onto the bed with his eyes still open, dead. Black ski mask has now made me physically kill two people, hopefully I won't have to kill anybody else.

I stared at my attacker for an extra moment to make sure he was for sure dead. I've watched plenty of horror movies where the killer always somehow ends up catching up with their victims, even when they think the killer's dead.

Once I realized he was for sure dead, I walked over to the door, then unlocked and opened it. After closing it behind me, I had to take a moment and listen towards the basement, the gunshot was pretty loud, I just hope they assume Black ski mask had to shoot me. I better hurry up and get the boy, before one of the masked people comes and investigates.

I looked and saw that there were four closed doors along this hallway. One being the one that Josh took me in, the one I just came out of, and two mystery rooms. I walked over to the door opposite of Black ski mask's room. It was a bathroom, and compared to most of the rooms in this house, this room was quite messy.

I closed the door and came to the last door. This one must be the little boy's room.

I was surprised when I turned the doorknob. It was unlocked. What's stopping the boy from getting out?

Creak

I opened the door and stepped into the dark room. The room was small compared to the others, with only a small bed and a dresser. Like most of the rooms in the house, the window was closed and I assume locked. The moonlight made the shadows dance across the walls.

A tiny voice spoke out from the darkness. "Please. I said I'm sorry."

When my eyes finally adjusted to the dark, I looked over to bed and stopped in my tracks.

The little boy was handcuffed to the bed and looked worse than when I last saw his face. His left eye was completely swollen shut, and there was blood all over his pale sheets. With the help of the moon's light, I also saw that his arms and legs were covered in deep purple bruises.

"It's ok, I'm not gonna hurt you." I said, while approaching him slowly.

He freaked out at first, but when he saw who it was, he calmed down. "Where's dad?"

"He's not going to hurt you anymore."

I bent down next to him and looked at the handcuff. It was really tight, causing the boy's wrist to start bleeding, and it needs a key. Of course it does.

"I'm going to get you out of here, ok? But I need to know where your father keeps the keys."

"In the top drawer." He nodded towards the little dresser.

I got up and opened the drawer and snatched the tiny key. Black ski mask must have put this here to torment his son. The little boy couldn't pull the bed all the way over to this side of the room, and to freedom.

"My name is Hazel. What's yours?" I asked, taking the handcuff off his sore wrist.

"Billy." He looked up at me with hope in his eye. "Are we really getting out of here?"

I gave him a smile. "Yes. But first we have to save my friends."