Chapter Twenty Nine - Appearances Can Be Deceiving

Droplets of blood-spattered in mid-air from the impact of a metal sword thrusting into the flesh of a palace ground soldier taking his life instantly.

The assailant raised his sword in the air signaling his man to charge forward as they entered the castle grounds completely equipped with a vast variety of weapons.

An evil grimace made way on his lips as he looked at the dead bodies on the floor thinking today was the day, they would annihilate the bloodthirsty Emperor.

~

Droplets of sweat dripped down Jaehyun's chest as the sound of metal colliding hit his ears.

"What is that sound?" Asked the emperor as he confusedly glanced at his training partner, with who he had been sparring hand to hand combat with.

"I have no idea. I doubt that anyone would be awake this late practicing sword fighting." Taeyong spoke with a tone laced with suspicion.

"If that is the case then..." Jaehyun uttered only to be cut off by the sound of a bell chiming.

"It is an ambush!" They both shouted in unison as the reality of the situation sunk in.

"Hurry Taeyong, assemble the royal guard!" The emperor commanded as worry consumed his thoughts.

"Yes, your majesty!" Taeyong answered before he was going to leave.

"Oh, and taeyong..." Jaehyun called out loudly.

"Yes!" He responded.

"Be careful!" The emperor said giving him a worrying glance.

"You know I always am!" Taeyong replied giving his friend a small smile before he sprinted away.

Jaehyun sighed heavily as he picked up his sword but he turned around immediately hearing the enemy soldiers roaring their battle cry.

He ran towards the entrance of the castle as an outlet of armed foes rushed in his direction.

Jaehyun lifted his sword piercing it into the chest of his opponent as more men ganged up behind him. He was pulled to the ground as a sword slid across his arm cutting his flesh. He hissed in pain as his once calm eyes were now filled with fierce rage.

He held his sword tightly moving it in a circular direction slaughtering the group of men at once. Just as he took a breath in more armed men run him away.

The emperor launched towards them in full force as the violent sound of metal clashing could be heard. In all the most of the chaos, a trail of metal arrows was shot at the outskirts of the battle taking the lives of many rival troopers.

A slight smile flashed on Jaehyun's face as he saw his men charging for battle as he made their way towards him.

"I am sorry, I took so long!" Taeyong apologized, attacking their opponents.

"It is alright, have you found the leader?" Asked the emperor.

"No, not yet!" Taeyong replied causing the emperor to lose focus in an instant resulting in a blade wounding his wonderfully crafted face.

Jaehyun wiped the blood off his cheek as both of them team up, back to back devising a defense strategy. In a matter of minutes, those men were fragments of history.

"Brother, you are hurt! Let me help!" Asked Jaemin grabbing the emperor's arm as Jaehyun tried to defend them both.

"No, Jaemin. You are still young to fight in battles if you really want to be of use, please guard my mother with Jeno." The emperor spoke.