Chapter Twenty Three - Locked

The full moon glistened brightly as it gleamed shining throughout the starry night sky.

Vanilla scented candles spread across the luxurious bedroom lighting up the once dark chamber.

Ri stood by the mirror as her long hair flowed along moving slightly due to the light breeze from the opened window.

Her small hands caressed her stomach feeling the presence of her baby growing inside of her womb.

Ri studied herself as she stared into the golden mirror. She examined her round belly with a smile tugging on to her pulm lips.

The effect of her pregnancy was now evident. Just by looking at her form, even a stranger could tell she was carrying a child. She was roughly five months along, and in the stage where she could feel the tender movement of her baby.

Ri eagerly awaited the first glimpse she could get of her baby. She longed for the moment she could find her child in her arms.

With a long sigh escaping her lips, she thought. 'If I have been patient all this time I can wait for a few months more.'

Coming out of her trail of thoughts. She held a golden covered brush with expensive gems decorating it, in her hands bringing up to her hair. The soft comb came into contact with her long brown locks.

Once she was done brushing her soft locks, something caught her attention.

She walked to the emperor's imperial robe that hung on the wooden frame for his solicitor conference tomorrow.

She looked at the grand fabric in awe as her small fingers traced her golden embroidery of the lush material. She pulled her robe closer to her body as the emperor's strong essence filled her button nose.

As she continued cradling the expensive cloth she did not notice the presence leaning on the wooden doorway watching her as his hands reached over his lips to conceal the smile that was about to make its way to the surface.

As the robe moved a small piece of paper fell out. Curious about what it contains, Ri struggled as she bent down picking the letter up.

As she was about to open the letter a startling voice caught her off guard.

"What do you think you are doing?" Asked the emperor while walking towards her with a worried expression seeing the paper in her small hands.

Upon hearing his raspy voice Ri quickly let go of his robe while trying to hide the piece of paper behind her back.

Reaching his wife, Jaehyun grabbed her wrist as he pulled the piece of paper out of her grasp.

"Do not touch unnecessary things like this ever again!" He shouted while holding her wrist even tighter.

Jaehyun panicked when he saw the paper fall out of his robe. It contained information about her when she was a maiden and living in the village, something which he forgot to get rid of. He acted so rashly because that was information he never wanted her to see...she would think he is some kind of a creepy stalker had she read that letter.

Noticing her soft cry, Jaehyun snapped back to reality and instantly let go of her small wrist that now had a red imprint on her skin.

"I am sorry, I will not do it again." Said Ri in a quiet tone while she glanced at her floor making him feel guilty for hurting her.

Jaehyun held her chin up as their eyes met. He stared into those mesmerizing brown orbs of hers as he speaks.

"You do not need to apologize. I should be the one saying sorry!" Said the emperor as his fingers caressed her soft cheek.