Girl Meets Knowledge

I walked down the stair but stopped when I heard hushed voices, quietly I crept towards the kitchen and saw mom on the phone, she spoke hurriedly and you could tell she was tired and stressed.

"I can't keep her anymore James" that was my father's name but mom told me she didn't know his number and that he didn't want anything to do with me "Look, the money you're sending isn't enough to take care of her anymore" as I went closer I could hear his replies.

"Katy you were the one that took my daughter and ran away" his cold tone reminded me of the way I spoke "I asked you to send her to visit but you declined-".

"I don't want her anymore, I have my hands full with Maya and I can't afford to feed 3 mouths" I clutched my chest in pain at the thought that my mother didn't want me "Figure something out James" she hung up the phone and then walked in my direction, I hid before she saw me, I went to the kitchen and pushed the redial button and saw the number of my father. I memorized it and then went back to my shared bedroom, silently crying at what I had heard.

During Mr. Matthews's class, the door swung open and everyone looked over to see Katy Hart making her entrance. I rolled my eyes as she did a scene from a play, soap opera, or movie that she auditioned for overdramatically, after the conversation I overheard a week ago, I lost what little love I held in my heart for both Maya and our mother. I ignored her the entire time she was there but then something happened that caused her to leave the classroom, followed by Riley then Maya, Mr. Matthews turned and his eyes met mine, I rose a brow but got up and followed the group out.

"I think it works best for us when you go on your imaginary auditions and chase our imaginary father. I appreciate your coming-" Maya said but I scoffed causing their attention to turn to me.

"Everest, I didn't see you there," Katy said.

"That's the highlight of my life" I spoke, leaning on the lockers as I watched the scene in front of me "So why did you come here?".

"Everest-" Riley started but I cut her off.

"I'm not talking to you Matthews" scared, she went closer to Maya.

"Riley told me that Maya would love it if I could come-" Katy started.

"You came here for Maya? I'm not even shocked honestly, it's always been about Maya, right?".

"Everest it's not like that" Maya tried but I rolled my eyes.

"None of you care about me and I'm done being second best to Maya" I sighed "I think it's time for you to learn something outside of the classroom, don't you?".

"Miss Hart I don't think this is the right place" I turned to see Mr. Matthews and the rest of the class.

"Why not Mr. Matthews? Do you have a lesson plan for Maya and Riley again or do you want to teach something that helps the rest of the class?" he didn't reply "Thought so".

"Everest Hart, you don't talk to your teacher in that manner" Katy reprimanded.

"Whose teacher? Because as far as I know he only teaches a subject when it revolves around his daughter and her friends, ask anyone? The one time he failed Maya and hurt her feelings nothing was taught until she felt better and he gave her a better grade" the class minus Lucas and Farkle nodded in agreement "Everyone I know and in this school is so hypocritical" I laughed then looked at my sister "You think you're this tough girl that everyone fears right? News flash the only reason they are afraid of you is because of me, from day 1 I have protected you, from when you left the house till you reach school and back again" she looked at me in shock "Those people in the subway respect you and remember your name because of me, I made it known that nothing is to happen to you when I'm not there" I looked at Riley "When we were younger we were friends but you changed when you saw my hair and from then as I watched you grow I didn't like the person you became but I kept my mouth shut because you are my little sister's bestfriend" I faced the rest of the class "None of you know me yet you judge me and whisper behind my back, Lucas, I was the first person you met but just like the rest you listen to rumors and decided to not talk to me anymore but that's okay because I rather be alone than change who I am" I turned to Katy "When you took days off from work to go to your stupid auditions, you never once thought about me and Maya, you wanna know why there is food in the fridge? Because Farkle pays me to keep bullies away from him" for the first time in my life I cried which shocked everyone because I was Apathetic, tears streamed down my face "Yet still you can't feed me?" her eyes widened in realization "Yeah, I heard you, I'm the one that feeds us because you spend whatever money you have going to pointless auditions that you are never going to get!" I yelled, sighing I wiped my tears "Don't worry, you won't have to take care of me for much longer" I faced them all "Take a good look at me, you think I was born like this, no you all contributed into making the person standing in front of you" I held out my arms "Congratulations" and with that, I walked out of the school.

I didn't know where I was going but I didn't care, I let my legs carry me wherever, and after hours of walking, I found myself at the park I frequent. I sat on the bench and stared at the multitude of families or couples, looking at the time I saw it was 3:45, schools had been let out and it was a Friday which explained the crowd. Sighing I spot a payphone and put my plan into motion, I dialed the memorized number that called Katy last night.

"Hello James West" the cold voice answered.

"Hi, my name is Everest Hart, I think I'm your daughter and I need a huge favor".