two

Voices

☽ Voices

➳➳➳➳➳

"I THINK WE should set up the table there, place the drinks and finger foods there." Lydia points. I helped Lydia carry the table into a corner and we let it down, Lydia grabbing the table cover and spreading it out.

"I'm gonna go and get the drinks." I inform. Lydia simply nods her head and continued to focus on the table cover. I make my way to the kitchen and begin grabbing the bottled drinks. Immediately, I drop two bottles to the floor, the glass shattering into pieces and the pink liquid spreading all over the floor. I froze in place when suddenly I heard voices filling my ears. The voices are low and over each other, making it hard for me to understand them. I held my breath, trying to convince myself I was just hearing random noises, that it was all in my head and it's just a weird thing going on. But I don't think it was something so...random.

"...Lea." I let out a gasp and turn around and see Lydia standing behind me, giving me a confused, yet irritated look.

"I've been calling you for two minutes. Where's your head?" She scoffs. "And you broke two bottles? That wasn't exactly cheap."

"Sorry. I thought I..." I trail off, staring at the mess on the kitchen floor.

"You thought what?" Lydia frowns. "It doesn't matter. Just help me finish setting up. People might start to show soon." She scoffs. She approaches the counter and grabs the bottles before turning away and heads back outside. I was left standing in the kitchen confused and wondering why I was hearing voices in the first place. More importantly, I wanted to know what they were saying. I wondered if they were actually saying something or if it was just a bunch of gibberish.

The guests finally arrive, Lydia mostly greeting everyone who walked in. I didn't do anything except for smile with every person I made eye contact with. My eyes caught a familiar girl and my face lights up.

"Hey! You made it." I smile at Allison. My eyes follows her arm and I noticed she was holding hands with the familiar boy on the lacrosse team. He turns his head and looks at me, showing a small smile.

"Scott." He greets.

"Lea." I greet back.

"Uh...I'll catch you around?" Allison smiles.

"Oh! Yeah, yeah. I'll see you around." I chuckle. My eyes trail after Allison and Scott before they disappeared into the crowd. The music blasted, the chatter grew louder and the backyard filled quick. Everyone seemed to be enjoying their time at the party. Everyone except me, who sat in a chair near the pool, drink in hand, but I wasn't drinking anything. Lydia was off with Jackson probably sucking his face or something. I didn't seem to care too much as I didn't exactly want to go and find her making out with Jackson.

"Hey." I look up from my cup and meet eyes with brown ones. A buzzed cut haired boy and freckles spotted perfectly on his face. "You're Lydia's sister, right? You're Lea, her adopted sister?" He asks. I grow confused and it showed. The boy lets out a chuckle and holds his hand out. "Sorry, sorry. I'm Stiles. I've known your sister since we were kids." He says.