Cali Girls

“Sydney!” The newly familiar voice begins, before it starts to sing my name “Sydney! Oh Sydney!”

I open my eyes, blinded by strikingly pink walls, as they adjust I see Rydel looming over me.

“How may I help you my dear?” I inquire.

“Get up!” Today is going to be Sydney-Rydel bonding day!” She pushes me out of bed. Well it seems like she has already bonded with me enough to feel comfortable with pushing me awake.

“Man down!” I say rolling on the floor.

“I think you mean WOMAN down” She winks at me. I laugh as she helps me up, and I walk over to my dresser.

“So where are we going?” I say so I can know what to wear.

“I figured we’d go where everyone goes for some girl-time”

“Cool” I knew she meant the mall “I needed a new shirt and bra anyway” I thought back to that night… with Derek… My top soaked through to my bra with my own blood, they were ruined for sure. Now that I think about it that was my favorite bra. Damn it. I put on a bandeau with a lace top and jeans. I then lace on my yellow Converse, as always. Rydel and I head downstairs to grab a quick breakfast, Riker was in the kitchen and behind him was a clock that said 9:32. I slept in a little late.

“Are you always the first one up?” I ask.

“Yep!” he says cheerfully “Every day I get up at 5:30” I can’t imagine getting up that early every morning “Normally people don’t start waking up till ten, why are you guys up so early?”

“Wait this is early?” I say confused.

“Hahah yeah, and Riker, we are going to the mall, we’re bonding” She hugs me from the side.

“Ah very good, but bad at the same time, I was hoping we could hang out today,” Riker comes over and gives me a hug “And I’m sure Ross will be butt-hurt that you guys won’t be spending all day together” he shoots me a wink.

“Well either way it’s too bad for you two, I already called dibs.” Rydel remarks. Riker begins to take a bite from an apple, but before he has a chance Rydel snatches it and then snags the last apple from the basket after handing me the first.

“Hey!” he complains as Rydel tugs on my arm signaling it is time we skedaddle, so we rush out the door giggling. Rydel bites into her apple and hops in the car. I hop into the passenger’s seat as I examine my apple. I see Riker’s teeth marks in it and I laugh to myself as I indulge in a bite.

I’m at the counter at H&M and I grab out my old worn-out wallet. I open it and see the sixty dollars I have to my name. I let out a sigh as I pull out thirty of it, but a well manicured hand stops me. I look up.

“What are you doing?” I look at Rydel with a confused look in reply to her question “This trip is 100% my treat”

“Oh no, no, no Rydel I can’t let—“

“Shh shh shh, in fact,” She turns to the woman behind the counter “You can put these back, we won’t be getting them after all” She sweetly smiles and walks me away from the counter “We are gunna go all out” we leave the store.

“Rydel really I can pay for myself” She knowingly eyes me, making me nervous.

“Oh really? Is that why you’re staying with us? Because you have money blowing out the wazoo?” I look down and avoid her gaze “Sydney,” She lifts my chin up “When people offer their help, you shouldn’t always immediately deny it. Especially when you could use it, and besides” She lets go of me and moves slightly to the side. That’s when I got a glimpse of a figure quickly steal behind the corner. Did I just see that? It was a little hazy, maybe I’m just imagining things “I have some extra money from the band” I snap back into reality and reluctantly nod.