Don't Leave Me Lonely

I couldn’t sleep last night. I think the reason is obvious.

I hear Riker’s voice singing Always.

I don’t know what you’re up to—“ Click, I answer my phone.

“Hello?”

“Have you made your decision?” I hear Derek’s hoarse, sinister voice on the line.

“Yes, I’m breaking it off today…”

“Perfect” I can hear him smiling through the phone “Be at your uncles before midnight”

“Okay” I hang up and throw my phone angrily in my bag. One more melt down before I go through with this.

I fight my feelings in my head for a while, always coming to the same conclusion. This is the only way Ross will be safe. I sigh, I guess I should go now. I take a big gulp and I walk out to go find Ross. I catch a glimpse of him jumping into the pool outside with his brothers. Laughing. Smiling. God damn this is going to be hard.

“Ross!” I call out shakily. He looks over to me smiling. “Can we talk?”

“Yeah sure! One sec!” he then turns to Rocky and dunks his head under water. Ross flees the pool before Rocky has a chance to retaliate. He jogs over to me laughing. “What’s up?” he smiles, popping the ‘p’. So unsuspecting. He has no idea. That in about thirty seconds, I’m going to sink my hand into his chest and tear out his beating heart, and then proceed to stomp all over it. At least he will get over me. Unlike me. I will never get over my blonde knight. I take Ross out of sight and ear shot of the rest of his family.

“Ross” I pause Just put it out there on the table “I—I think we should b—break up” I choke out.

“W—what?” His smile evaporates immediately, but he has a small twitch in the corner of his lip “Th—that’s a joke right?” he says, nervously chuckling.

“No Ross, I wouldn’t joke about this” I say flatly, avoiding his gaze.

“W—what did I do? Let me fix it, just tell me how! What do you want me to do?!” He pleads. I see the tears begin to line his eyes as they fall from mine.

“You didn’t do anything wrong! And this can’t be fixed Ross”

“No Sydney, please, everything can be fixed, there is always a solution” He grabs my shoulders firmly.

“But, Ross” I say sniveling “This is the solution”

“No! Let’s talk about this! We can talk this through! It’s just a silly rough patch!” He starts pulling his hair through his fingers. He’s panicking.

“Ross! Calm down, please!” I plead, placing my hands on his arms. “Soon enough you’ll realize this is all for the best.”