No One Else Just You and Me

“…you told me nothing happened…” I say as I look at the both of them both with surprised looks on their faces. Sydney turns to look at Rydel to see what move she is going to make.

“..uhh..” Sydney lets out “Over to you Rydel!” She turns and smiles to me as if she was a sports caster and I was the camera. I look over to Rydel.

“Okay, okay! I guess something did happen… but it’s not like either of us got hurt from it...” Rydel reluctantly admits.

“What about Sydney’s feet! They are a bloody mess!” I yell out forgetting that everyone else in the house is asleep.

“Ross.. shh!” Sydney demands as she leans forward whispering “This is just from running back from the beach…”

“Running? What?”

“Well you see after I tackled Derek—“

“WHAT?!” I give her a big hug and pull back “Awesome!”

“Well… I guess in that sense it was awesome, but I didn’t know it was him, heck I didn’t know it was Rydel he had his hand raised to until after I tackled him. Then when I saw it was Derek I snatched Rydel’s hand and started sprinting with it”

“His…his hand was raised at you?” I turn to Rydel, trying to hold back my tears. If Sydney can then so can I.

“Yes, Ross yes! But please don’t do anything crazy! I’m fine! Thanks to Sydney.” There that damned word again FINE. Uh, that’s probably my second least favorite word right now, first up is DEREK.

“What’s up with you two and using that word? Fine. Pshh, I’d figure Sydney would at least finally realize what being ‘fine’ can lead to, let me tell you BOTH what it leads to. It leads to losing your sense of security, leads to becoming best friends with doctors and nurses, because you see them DAILY. It leads to poverty” I turn to Rydel and talk to her directly “I bet if you ask Sydney what her blood smells like she can vividly describe it in no time flat. Being ‘fine’ leads to cuts, bruises, scars. Worst of all? ‘Fine’ leads to DEATH.” I stop and glance over to Sydney. She holds eye contact with me but doesn’t say a thing. That’s when I realize what I just said. Hello Ripley’s Believe It or Not? Yes, put me down for Worlds Worst Boyfriend. Rydel interrupts my thoughts.

“Ross you have no place to be lecturing me about this! You don’t know! Sydney, she kno—“

“No” Sydney cuts her off.

“What?”

“He is right Rydel, right about it all. I’ve always claimed to be ‘fine’ and everything gets worse.” I—I can’t believe she is saying this, I look at her with a confused puppy dog look “Rydel... You need to let your family know. It will never get better if you hide it. They really just need to be aware of the situation, but you know you can always talk to me about anything right?”

“I—uh yes, I guess” She begins to fight back but quickly decides against it.

“Good” Sydney flashes that winning smile and hugs Rydel. There she goes again. Already happy again, after this crazy stuff, after me basically screaming at her. Her brains gotta be configured differently than everyone else’s. “Okay I guess I should get bandaged up. Can one of you grab the first aid it?” I reach under the sink and hand the box to her. After drying her feet off she skillfully wraps them. She clearly has experience. Once she is done she stands up wincing a bit. “Well I think it is way past my bed time, let’s hit the hay!” Rydel trots down the hall to their room and I stop Sydney before she has a chance.

“I’m glad you’re okay” I smile.

“See I’m fi—I mean uh, of course I am! Derek doesn’t stand a chance against me!” She shoots me an egotistical wink.