I Can't Fool Myself But We Both Know It's True

“That’s a wrap people!” My director calls out after my last line. People around the set begin high-fiving. I just look around smiling largely while people congratulate me.

“Sydney!” Jennifer comes up to me, pulling me into a one-armed hug, as to not get any fake blood on me “You were outstanding!” She compliments me “I can’t wait until we work together again!”

“Same” I smile, cool, calm, collected. But on the inside I’m freaking out, I just finished filming my first movie, and Jen says she wants to work with me again. Could my life possibly get better?

*Jenny POV*

I barely listen as Rocky trails off about something. Ugh how long did Derek say I have to date this zero? He is such a drag, all he ever talks about is his stupid band, his siblings, and Sydney.

God I hate Sydney.

‘Sydney’s been working on a movie’ I mock him in my head, why does Derek even like this bitch? She doesn’t deserve him, she doesn’t appreciate him for all he does, I appreciate him, HE should be in love with ME not HER.

“So I was thinking maybe you’d want to come see my band rehearse tonight?” Rocky suggests.

Oh I’d love to.

“That sounds so stupid” I shoot a fake smile at him.

“What?” he asks confused. Oh shit—did I just say that out loud?

“Whoops uh—I meant that sounds um—stupendous!” I say cheerily yet weakly.

“Oh, cool” he replies, still somewhat confused and not completely convinced, crap.

Damage control, Jenny. Damage control.

“You know what? I just can’t wait! How bout a preview?” His smile brightens immediately, but he quickly snaps his fingers in defeat.

“Shoot! I didn’t bring my guitar!”

“Oh bummer!” I reply with a hint of sarcasm.

“You’ll just have to wait!” he says teasing me, then leaning over to kiss me. I resist the urge to vomit, I need to find a way to get rid of Sydney so I can have Derek all to myself. And so I don’t have to date losers like this.

*Rocky POV*

I lean over and kiss her, and there it is again.

Nothing.

She makes me feel nothing. In fact it actually feels like she is sucking the life out of me. I thought that maybe after a few kisses it would be different but no it’s still absolutely terrible—which brings to question… why am I still doing it? I pull back from her lips