Keep Away From This Girl

-One Month Later-

“Excuse me--Uh excuse me—sorry—excuse me” I say as I maneuver my crutches around the people on the bus. Each small clink my crutches make is just a reminder of what happened to me. It’s been lonely without the Lynches, especially Ross. And living with my uncle and Derek hasn’t really helped that much either. I hobble off the bus, the yellow cast on my right leg bumping into the wall as I get off. Derek thinks I went back to work for Candy, but I just told him that so I could get away daily. Oh yeah, the broken leg, that happened the day after I came back. Derek threw me down the stairs in front of my uncle’s apartment complex, but other than that not much has happened. I mean yes, there’s plenty of beatings, but nothing I’m not used to. I trail away from the side walk and up the drive way. I rest my crutches against the doorway as I balance myself to look through my purse. I grab out the envelope and slide it under the door. This place is so familiar, I Love it, but I hate it at the same time. I lean against the door, to get as close as I can to the inside.

*Riker POV*

I open the door, knowing Sydney is out there.

“Oh Shit!” She yells awkwardly as she falls in. I choke slightly at the sight of her cast on her entire right leg.

“Sydney?” I question as she frantically scrambles up, I help.

“I—I have to go” I clutch her arm and she winces, that’s a little weird.

“Ross isn’t home” She looks up, contemplating.

“I guess I could stay a little”

“He misses you, you know?” I tell her as she walks in and sits on the couch “We all miss you” She looks down with guilt written on her face.

“Eventually you guys will forget about me”

“Not if you keep dropping by” I joke chuckling. I would actually Love if she came by more often.

“I guess you’re right” She laughs back “But don’t worry, you won’t be seeing me again” I glance at the hall closet and back at Sydney.

“I wasn’t worried” I say “You can come back Sydney”

“No Riker I’m doing Fine” I decide to finally acknowledge it.

“What happened to your leg?” I question suspiciously “Derek?” I say a little softer.

“No!” She calls frantically with a worried look. If I had to bet, Derek had something to do with this “I fell down the stairs” she says, itching the back of her neck.

“Oh you are really clumsy” I say, laughing, deciding to drop it, even though I know she’s hiding something. We talk for a long time, catching up, or at least she is, she is somewhat secretive about what she’s been doing, our entire conversation she has a troubled look on her face.

“What time is it?” Sydney asks turning to see the clock “Oh Shit!” I gotta go!” She says quickly grasping her crutches.

“Why don’t you stay for dinner?” I ask eagerly

“I don’t want to be here with Ross,” She stops just outside “Goodbye Riker” When she says this it doesn’t feel like a normal ‘bye’ it feels more like a farewell. Like she’s planning on never seeing me again. I swing my arms around her and she tenses quickly.

Sydney is wearing a really loose shirt right now. In my line of sight while hugging her, I see down her shirt, and on her back I can see an assortment of bruises. I loosen my grip on her at the realization. She’s being beaten, there’s no other explanation. She couldn’t have gotten all this from falling down the stairs. “Goodbye Sydney” I say letting go “Can I have your phone number?” Oh yeah Sydney changed her phone number, Ross wouldn’t stop calling. She chuckles slightly.