Just Can't Get You Outta My Head

*The next day*

It turns out my assumption was correct, my wrist was broken, so I stayed overnight at the hospital while they casted my wrist up and maintained my other minor injuries. I was just about to be discharged. “Sydney, I better not see you in here again!” A short, stout woman jokingly says to me from behind the registration desk. It was Lynn; I only knew her first name. Some people may be offended by the joking tone she took about this serious matter, but not me I understand that sometimes workers in the hospital have to joke about crappy situations just to get through the day. Let’s face it; there aren’t many happy endings in the hospital.

“Well I sure do hope you don’t!” I joke back with a slight smile, even though it hurt me inside just thinking about it. Some receptionists checking out other patients grab their files from the filing cabinet; they are reasonably small with only a few papers in them. At that moment Lynn heads to the filing cabinet and grabs my file, it’s huge, with hundreds of papers in it. My file compared to the others was like The Bible compared to a Dr. Seuss book. I was ashamed; I tilted my head to the floor. I thought back to all the times I came to the hospital because of…him. A couple times I was in critical condition and I had to stay in the ICU.

Well, I think, I’ll just have to find a way to try and steer clear of Derek. Lynn checks my papers out and finally tells me I am good to go. I grab my bag with my good arm and head outside to catch the bus. It arrives and I board. I begin walking to the back where I see an open seat. Suddenly the driver floored it and well, I found myself floored as well.

“Ahh!” I land with a hard thud, my personal belongings spilled out of my bag and all over the floor. I probably could’ve caught myself if I didn’t have a damned broken wrist.

“Oh my that was quite a tumble you took there,” I hear a young man’s voice and I feel his hand on my arm helping me up. I take a look at him he has blond hair and he is very tall and wearing some prescription glasses, he is actually very similar to the boy I ran into yesterday, Ross, except this guy was three or four years older and wore glasses. “Are you okay?” he asks as he sits me down in an empty seat.

“Uhm erm yeah, I think so…” I reply somewhat confused. I start reaching down to pick up my belongings but his hand grabs mine, grips it firmly, and then places it back in my lap. I look at him with a questioning look.

“Let me pick it up” he replies sweetly.

“No, no there is no need I can pick it up” I start reaching down once more just to be obscured again.

“Really let me grab it, it is no trouble at all, I want to” He smiles and grabs my bag; he begins to throw some of the stray items back into their places, safely in my bag. I watch him, my cell, my pain meds, my mirror, my pens, my notepad, my lip gloss, and last my…. Oh god, my face turns bright red as he picks up one of my tampons. He holds it a second before realizing what it is and he also immediately turns red, slowly he looks up to see if I noticed him picking up this private item, we just sat there in awkward red-faced eye contact for a few seconds before he swiftly put the item in my bag and handed it back to me while scratching the back of his neck nervously. He walked over and sat down in the empty seat next to me.

“So um I’m Riker,” he says pretending like that whole awkward situation didn’t just happen.

“Hey, I’m Sydney” I smile trying to ease the tension, but failing seeing as I was still tomato faced.

Rikers POV

Oh my, that was terrible, I can’t believe I picked up this girls tampon whom I just met. Whats even worse I probably came off as a total creep. “So um I’m Riker” acting like that situation didn’t bother me in the least.