Chapter Thirty-Seven

Spencer runs her hand over her dress skirt as Tony drives them to the event

Spencer runs her hand over her dress skirt as Tony drives them to the event. She's nervous because this isn't her sort of deal. She is plaid and burgers and this is dresses and champagne. This is Tony's world, and she has to prove that she belongs here. The car comes to a stop outside of the event and Tony glances at Spencer who seems a little doe-eyed at all the noise outside. He takes her hand and squeezes softly, the two of them sharing a look. He leans over and kisses her cheek.

"Think of it as another hunt" He whispers to her. "Just wear the persona and get through the night" She looks at him softly, her hand on his face. But he does that as much as she does. Those people at home. The engineers. The parents. Those are them as real as they can get. But here. The businessman and the wife. Those are personas. Those are figures they must present to the world. She nods and pulls her hand back. Tony climbs out of his car first, moving around the front of it to open the passenger door, holding out his hand to Spencer who takes it, and climbs out. Her dress settling around her legs, her spine straightening and that persona clicks into place. She can do the public figure. She can do this. Tony squeezes her hand again and then they are walking along the red carpet to rows of journalists and members of the public. Tony wraps his arm around Spencer's waist. This is technically their first public appearance as husband and wife. There is actually a lot of pressure here to come across as that perfect couple, which, for the most part, they are. Tony waves with his free hand as Spencer smiles. The press just gobbling up the attention. Obadiah approaches the couple, surprised to see them there.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were going to lay low" Obadiah comments, Tony glances at him.

"It's time to start showing my face again" Tony argues and squeezes Spencer's waist. "Plus when my wife is this photogenic...." He teases. "I mean look at her" Spencer gives him a faux annoyed look but he just winks at her, causing her to smirk softy.

"Let's just take it slow, okay. I got the board right where we want them" Obadiah counters.

"Great" Tony offers, not really listening to him. "See ya inside" Tony then smiles at Obadiah. "Lots to talk about" He and Spencer share a look before they head along the little red carpet towards the main building. "Still get that weird feeling with him?" Tony asks her, she hums and nods.

"Big-time" She answers. He hums and wrinkles his nose, because he's starting to get that feeling too.

...........

A classy band and polite dancing surround Spencer who's eyes flicker around the other guests. This isn't really the energy she was expecting. It isn't high energy. It all feels very forced. Tony touches the small of her back and she turns to him.

"Did I tell you that you look beautiful yet?" He asks her, she shakes her head and smiles.

"No" She answers.

"Ah, I'm a bad husband" He teases and pulls her closer. "You looks gorgeous" He nudges her nose and then kisses her, she smiles against his lips. This is kind of nice. Just the two of them. Away from the children. She loves the three of them, she really does, but a moment just her and Tony, it's been a long time. "You look...you look like should always wear that dress." He adds and looks down at the dress.

"Mr Stark" Tony pulls back from Spencer and turns to find who called to him. He finds Phil Coulson -- all business. "Mrs Stark" He adds with a polite nod at Spencer who offers a smile, just as polite. "Agent Coulson" He informs the two of them.

"Oh...was I supposed to meet you here?" Tony asks.

"No, but you haven't been returning my calls. This is serious, we need to get something on the books or I'll have to go official on you" Coulson informs him.

"Yes, you're right" Tony agrees. "I'm going to handle it but right now, this is the first night my wife and I have been without the little rugrats, so if you don't mind" He turns to Spencer who raises an eyebrow back at him. "Care to dance?" Tony takes her hand and whisks her onto the dance floor without waiting for an answer, just wanting to get away from the government official.

.......

Tony has his arm tight around Spencer's waist as they dance together. The whole time they were dating, if that is what they could call it, it was always more on her terms, they hooked up in motels and bars and now, now Tony has the chance to spoil and show her off, he is damn well going to do so. His wife is beautiful and wicked smart. He honestly probably would never have found anyone that even comes close to Spencer and how perfect for him she is. He's not sure that works the other way around but he is grateful that she seems to want to be with him. He strokes her back and hums along to the music. He rather likes having her in his arms like this. Warm and safe.

.........

The couple has moved outside to a quiet balcony, away from prying eyes and flashing cameras. Spencer grew uncomfortable with it all. He was asking too much, he knows. All this attention is out of her comfort zone. She leans on the railing and looks up at the stairs. Tony at her side, both of the quiet but not awkwardly so. It's comfortable.

"I'm sorry I was so uncomfortable" She whispers, he hums a little and kisses her shoulder. "I hate being the centre of attention like that and that's why this one time in high school when I was supposed to be in a play... no, never mind... but you know that's why I never like, wanted to have a big wedding... you know, because I thought everyone would be looking at me wearing a dress" She rambles and he chuckles a little, she gives him a look and he leans up, taking her face in his hands.

"I love you," He tells her. "Just the way you are...I knew that about you" He assures her. "You're not some...spotlight girl, you're....blankets and pizza and cheesy horror movies on Sundays kind of girl" She smiles at him. "It means a lot you came at all" She nods softly. "How about we stay for one last drink and then we go home?" He asks. "Curl up with cheeseburgers"

"Sounds perfect" She assures him. "You're amazing"

"I know" He whispers warmly. He never had himself down as marriage material, for years and years, he never thought he'd be any good at it, that he never even thought he wanted to do it. Till Spencer. And here he is proving that he is actually an alright husband, he gets things right more often than wrong, and a good dad, that was his worst fear, being a bad dad, being a bad parent. But he's doing it. With her.