Chapter Forty

Spencer lets herself into Tony's office at Stark Industries. Pushing the door closed behind her. She knows that if there is going to be anything that incriminates Stane, it will likely be buried on the company server, somewhere. She just has to dig far enough. She sits at Tony's computer and pulls a storage (USB) drive from her pocket, whatever she finds, she will need to show Tony. She starts typing at the keyboard, hacking into the systems to get to the really hidden stuff, to get at Stane's private files. She gets through levels of passwords, firewalls and security nets. Spencer proving that she's very much capable. Hacking is something she's been doing for years. Police databases. Hospital records. She then scrolls through Stane's hard drive. Document after document. Jericho Missile orders. Shipping manifests. She plugs in the storage drive and makes a copy of everything on Stane's hard drive. More schematics and blueprints. For sections of the Dynamo suit. For the pipe room under the Ark Reactor. Spencer narrows her eyes as they scan over it all. None of this makes sense. Why would he have all this stuff? And why does he feel the need to hide it so deep?

"What are you doing, Stane?" She whispers and then glances towards the door, thinking she heard something. Waits. Nothing. She lets out a breath and turns back to the computer as an icon now appears, with Arabic text underneath. An icon for a video clip. She double clicks, watches as a grainy video clip opens: Tony, half-dead, tied to a chair. Raza and his henchmen behind him. It's the 'decapitation tape' made in the cave months ago. Spencer's eyes well a little with tears seeing Tony like that but she shakes her head. He's home now and that's all that matters. She hums a little and then brings up a translator app on the screen. The clip plays again, the translated text appears like subtitles: 'Obadiah Stane, you have deceived us...the price to kill Tony Stark has just gone up...'. Spencer, shell-shocked, gapes at the monitor. She knew he was funky, but this? She didn't think he was involved in this? She then looks up from the monitor to see Stane standing there in the doorway.

"What a nice surprise." He comments.

"Tony wanted me to pick up some files" She offers and nods to the computer. "Personal files..." He circles around the desk and Spencer quickly changes screens, replacing the file transferral indicator with google.

"How's he?" He asks her.

"He's fine" She answers, her jaw ticking. "Spending time with his children" He circles her, picking up a photo on the desk of Tony. Spencer stiffens, flicks a glance at the USB protruding. The whirr and grind of the hard drive as it copies Stane's files.

"This...thing between you" She starts, buying herself some time, distracting him. "It's hurting him. You're the only real father Tony ever had. It would mean so much if you could just talk..."

"Tony's imploding...." Stane stops her. "It's unfortunate" He adds and then looks at her. "You should consider whether you want to take that ride with him" She clenches her jaw.

"Unfortunate?" She repeats, annoyance building in her. Anger.

"You know I love Tony -- but this is business. We can't save him, but we can save his legacy" He offers. She flashes to the download screen, 87% completed. "It's tragic, but...Tony never really came home, did he?" He circles behind her again, looking closely at the screen, but it still shows Google. "This company has a bright future, I'd like you to be a part of it" He smiles and touches her cheek. She shuts off the computer and moves away from him. "Tony doesn't understand your value"

"Are you...offering me a job?" She asks. "Or propositioning me?" He just smiles at her, creepy.

"Think about it" He offers. Unfortunately, she might never be able to unhear what he's just told her. "Come on, I'll walk you out" He makes his way to the door and then waits for her. As she passes the computer, she snatches the jump drive out, palming it before sliding her hands into her pockets to hide it.

..........

In the lobby, Spencer descends the stairs as Obadiah hovers above on the balcony railing -- watching her. But she doesn't waver. Her steps are sure, she's not going to waver or show any sign of nerves, not to that man. Not now she knows what he's done. She looks around the lobby when she finds Agent Coulson is at the security desk, arguing with the Security Guard. Spencer rushes over, startles Coulson by linking arms with him and dragging him towards the door.

"Mrs Stark" He starts. "I have a meeting with Miss Potts"

"No, you don't" Spencer argues. "She's at home with my kids...." She looks over her shoulder at Stane and then turns forward. "Why don't we have a chat instead?" She asks him as they leave the building.

............

Pepper sits in a rocking chair in the twins' nursery, Trinity in her lap, an open storybook in front of them as she reads to the little girl.

.............

Tony doesn't rest, as Spencer told him to, and he knows that she knows he would have no intention of doing so. Instead, he works away on the CNC machine. Behind him is a screen; listing six messages, all the same: 'missed call – Spencer' Suddenly, the CNC machine powers down unexpectedly.

"What gives, Jarvis?" Tony complains.

"You have a visitor, Sir. Obadiah Stane is here" Tony lets out a breath and then nods as he stands.

.........

In the living room, Tony walks in to find Stane waiting for him, a pizza box in his hand, he holds out it out towards Tony.

"It's UNOS" Stane offers ."Four cheese. I just had it flown in from Chicago" Tony remains stoic. Obadiah puts the pizza down, crosses the room to where Tony stands to hand him a letter. "I'd like you to proof-read something for me"

"Would you like me to spell-check it, Sir?" Jarvis asks.

"Can you turn him off? All the way?" Stane counters, Tony scans the letter.

"Spin down, Jarvis" Tony orders and then looks up from the letter, surprised. "Your resignation"

"You were right. It's not my company -- not my name on the building" Stane admits. "We were a great team...but I guess this is where our paths diverge" Tony hears a blip from the phone system. Incoming; Spencer appears on the screen. Tony looks to Obadiah.

"That's Spencer. I should take that" Tony offers.

"Tony. Please. I'll be out of here in a minute" Tony finally nods, pushes a button, sending the call to voice mail. Obadiah meets Tony's eyes, fatherly. Puts a hand on Tony's shoulder. "We have too much history to part on bad terms. I'd like your blessing" Tony's eyes, suddenly registering a paralyzing pain. Tony sinks back in his chair. Stane places the sonic taser down on the table. "Easy, now. Try to breathe..." He kneels beside Tony. Unbuttons Tony's shirt. "You can't mess with progress, Tony. It's an insult to the Gods. You created your greatest weapon ever but you think that means it belongs to you. It belongs to the world" Tony is unable to move. All he can do is gasp and gurgle as Stane begins removing the chest piece from its socket. "Your 'heart' will be the seed of the next generation of weapons. They'll help us steer the world back in the right direction. Put the balance of power back in our hands. The right hands" Stane removes Tony's 'heart'. "By the time you die, my prototype will be operational" Stane smiles. "It's not as conservative as yours" He wraps the heart in cloth. Then stands, clicking off the sonic taser and pocketing it. Tony rolls from the chair, onto his back, staring at the ceiling. Already slipping away. "The sad thing is...we're both the good guys" Obadiah kills the lights and leaves.