Chapter Thirty-Three

Tony tests out the prototype of the gauntlet that Spencer was working on the day before. He clips the gauntlet wires to the chest bandolier he is wearing, checks that they are secure before he extends his arm, lets off a burst of repulsor technology from the palm of the gauntlet, testing Spencer's calculations and adjustments. It tips over a toolbox, scattering wrenches all over the floor of the garage. Pepper, who's been watching from the doorway now approaches him.

"Thought you were done with weapons." Pepper points out, Tony turns to look at her, he shrugs a little.

"It's a flight-stabilizer." Tony corrects as he adjusts something on the gauntlet.

"Well, watch where you're pointing your 'fight-stabilizer', would you?" Pepper asks of him. "Obadiah's upstairs....should I tell him you're in?"

"Be right up." Tony answers, Pepper goes to leave. "And Pepper" She turns back to him. "Go home..." He tells her, she smiles and nods before leaving the garage. Tony lets out a breath and sets the gauntlet down on his workstation.

...........

Obadiah sets a pizza down on the table as Tony paces, full of manic energy as he talks. Stane's eyes watching him as he moves, something unsettling and calculating in his eyes.

"This.....this is the big-big idea. It can pull the company in a whole new direction." Tony admits, his excitement clear in his tone. Working with Spencer on the suit, it's right, he knows it's right, that this idea is right. Working with what the arc-reactor can really do, is right and good.

"That's great. Get me the design as soon as you can. We've got a hungry production line that can knock out a prototype in days." Stane offers Tony. Tony looks at Obadiah, getting emotional.

"You know, I had a moment there where I was...reluctant...but I know now I made the best decision. I feel like I'm doing something... right, finally." Tony offers. "Thank you for supporting me in this," Tony tells Stane, meaning every word, Obadiah nods, touched.

"Listen, I have something to talk to you about. I really wish you'd attended the last board meeting like I asked you to." Stane starts.

"I know, I'm sorry." Tony offers. " What did I miss?"

"The board's filed an injunction against you." Stane answers.

"What?" Tony asks.

"They claim you're unfit to run the company and want to lock you out," Stane tells Tony who frowns before getting slightly annoyed and angry. This is his company. Something his father built up, something he has bolstered.

"How the hell can they do that? It's my name on the building! My ideas that drive that company." Tony points out.

"They're going to try. We'll fight them, of course." Stane offers.

"With the amount of stocks we own, I thought we controlled the company" Tony admits.

"I don't know. Somehow they pulled enough votes together. Listen, the world doesn't share your vision, Tony. The more people have to lose, the more frightened they are of new ideas." Stane pours two drinks. Tony declines his. "Now listen, I don't want you to get all in knots. You know how many times I protected your father from the wolves?" Tony nods, still troubled. "Get back to your lab and work some magic. You let me handle the board. Oh and Tony, no more press conferences" Stane warns as he leaves, Tony pulls a face and then sighs.

........

Tony pulls off his shirt and glances at the wrapped package on his bedside table. He's not sure it's his. He doesn't remember putting it there. He glances at Spencer sleeping on her side of the bed. Intrigued, he turns back to the table, picks up the package, tears it open to find his old chest-device, mounted in Lucite, glowing faintly. It's inscribed: PROOF THAT TONY STARK HAS A HEART. He smiles and touches the glass case. He looks back at Spencer, touched. But he didn't need the device back as proof, she is proof. The kids are proof. He sets the chest-device back on the bedside table and finishes undressing before climbing into bed, his arms wrapping around Spencer, she hums in her sleep and leans back into his arms.

"Spence" Tony whispers, she hums as she wakes. "Thanks for the gift" She turns to face him and raises an eyebrow at him. "The arc-reactor" He motions over his shoulder to where it sits on the bedside table.

"I didn't feel right throwing it out" She admits as she snuggles closer to him, he wraps his arms around her. "It's one of those things" She adds. "The beginning things" He hums and kisses her head. "I'm so proud of you, you know" She offers, Tony smiles a little. "You saw that something was wrong with your company and you want to change it....you're not just ignoring it because it's easy" He presses his chin to the top of her head. "Screw anyone who tells you that you are wrong...I'll fight them" Tony chuckles and pulls back slightly. "You're my husband, father of my children....my best friend...I will fight anyone that screws with you" Tony nudges her nose and kisses her, she hums and kisses him back, his arm sliding around her back to pull her closer to him. 

"You'd kick all their asses, beautiful" He assures her when he pulls back with a smirk. She hums and nods, already falling back to sleep. Tony brushes her hair back from her face. "I love you" He adds softly.