Chapter Twenty-Nine

In the lower level, Spencer lets herself into the garage and finds Tony at his computer. She smiles softly, she kind of likes watching him work. Seeing him so focused, like he is when he is with the kids.

"So much for you coming to bed" Spencer scolds Tony who looks at her. She smiles and shakes her head. She's not upset or angry that he put off coming to bed, she knows how important this is to him and she would never argue against it, or fight him on it. He supports her through everything, she shows him the same respect. That's what marriage is. That's what friendship is. He's her best friend. And she'd do anything to make him happy. She'd support him in anything that makes him happy. He holds out his arm and she moves closer to him, setting herself in his lap, he kisses her head. "It's okay" she assures him. "I know you...." He presses his head to the side of hers, his eyes falling shut with his exhaustion. "Is it finished?" she asks, he nods against the side of her head. "Will you show me?" he pulls back and smiles at her.

"Course I will" he assures her. "Here...Show me your hands." He takes her wrists so he can holds out her hands. "Perfect," She shoots him a look. "They're small. I need you to help me put it in" she scoots closer to him. He hold up the newly fabricated, higher tech replacement chest piece and passes it to Spencer, she takes it from him and turns it around in her hand.

"It's amazing" she whispers. "You did it" She tells him, he lifts his eyes to meet hers.

"We did" He corrects with a smile, he cups her cheek. "We did this together" She smiles and nods. He leans closer and kisses her.

"Sooooo?" She asks and gives him a look, he smirks and nods.

"We're going to swap them out and switch all functions to the new unit." He tells her as he types away, getting everything ready, Spencer traces her finger around the new device. "First I need you to reach in and relieve the pressure on my myocardial nerve." He admits, she nods a little. "Do you know where that is?" She gives him a look and reaches out and touches his chest.

"In there?" she asks him with a look, he smirks. "Yeah, I know..." She assures him.

"Okay, so I am going to life the old device out and you reach into the socket as far as your hand can fit and gently move the housing away from my heart." He then smirks. "Do you know which direction that is?"

"To the right." She answers as she flicks his ear, he chuckles.

"To my right. Your left." Tony reminds her.

"To the left." Spencer repeats and starts to smirk.

"Right"

"Left" Spencer counters with a smirk, Tony chuckles.

"Right. Left." He pokes her cheek and nods.

"I got it" She assures him and motions for him to go ahead. Tony takes a breath and removes the old device from his chest. Spencer begins to reach into his chest. "Oh, jeez...How deep does this go?" She mumbles.

"Keep going." She reaches uncomfortably deep. "That's it. You got it. Now press.....Yes. It's releasing." She pulls her hand out covered in a nasty pink slime.

"Ew!!!" She complains and flicks her hand down then walks to the sink as Tony drops a drain into the opening. Spencer washes her hands as Tony sets in the new heart piece. Spencer dries her hands and then picks up the old chest piece. Her eyes softening a little.

"Throw that thing out." Tony tells her.

"Don't you want to save it?" Spencer asks.

"Why? It's antiquated."

"You made it out of spare parts in a cave. It saved your life. Doesn't it at least have some nostalgic value?" Spencer counters.

"Spencer...I have been called many things. Nostalgic is not one of them." He kisses her cheek and then pulls back as his new 'heart' lights brightly. "There. Good as new. Thank you."

"You're welcome." She assures him. "Can I ask you a favour?"

"Shoot" He offers, she smirks a little.

"Get some sleep" She tells him, he glances at her. "An hour...two...take a nap....hug your daughter...." He smiles and nods. "I'm going to check on Pepper, make sure the twins haven't got her run ragged...." she starts to walk away. "And Tony" She starts turning back to him, he hums. "This isn't really what normal married couples do...." He laughs and nods in agreement. "Just remember, that as a wife...I go above and beyond..."

"I know, beautiful" he assures her. "And I am grateful...." she gives him a look and then heads up stairs, Tony smiles and spins on his chair a little before turning to his computer.

.........

Spencer sets a few teddies in a box outside Trinity's bedroom before making her way to hers and Tony's room, she opens the door and peers inside, finds Tony flat out on the bed, asleep, he didn't even take his clothes off. Spencer smiles a little and shakes her head. She goes about undressing him. Shoes. Trousers. Shirt. Just so he's comfy. Till he is left in his boxers. Spencer grabs a blanket from the side and throws it over Tony. When she goes to pull away, he grabs her and pulls her down onto the bed.

"Tony" She scolds. "I don't have time"

"Pepper can watch the kids" He mumbles against her neck. "I actually want to sleep next to my wife for the first time in four months" he yawns and sighs softly as he gets comfy. Spencer turns in his arms to face him, her fingers drifting over his stubble as he falls asleep with her in his arms. Her eyes sadden as she watches him, she knows how close she came to losing him. She leans closer and presses her forehead to his, her eyes drifting shut.