Chapter Thirty-Two

Spencer leans closer to Trinity sat in her lap and blows a raspberry against her cheek, the girl chuckles in her mother's arms as Spencer's hands work on the art station, finishing a fresh batch of sketches. Turns out that drawing something like this is rather addictive. Trinity reaches for the pen but Spencer tries to keep it out of her reach.

"No, no, princess, mommy's working..." Trinity takes the pen anyway, Spencer sighs a little and watches as Trinity changes the colour scheme on the suit, Spencer bites her lip watching it flash to bright pink.

"What's with the faces?" Tony asks as he sets a box on the end table. Spencer glances at him.

"Your daughter has an input on your suit colour" Spencer teases and holds up the station to show Tony, she smirks as Tony gives Trinity a look. Trinity chuckles and curls into her mother's chest. Tony moves to another box on the floor and crouches to search through it just as Pepper walks into the room. Trinity wiggling free of her mother's lap to run at the redhead who smiles and crouches to pick her up. Spencer sets the art station on the side and stands to join them. "Thanks for this, Pepper" Spencer tells her.

"Are you kidding?" Pepper counters. "You know I love spending time with them...." She hikes Trinity up a little on her hip. "And they are actually very well behaved....for Tony's children"

"Come on, we both know those kids are all me" Spencer teases. Tony lifts his head from where he was digging in a box and faux glares at the pair of them. He points at them both with the screwdriver in his hand before heading off towards his workshop. "I just don't trust the kids down in his workshop yet..."

"I don't think any mother would" Pepper agrees, Spencer nods in agreement.

.............

In the garage workshop, sketches and diagrams are splayed on the worktable. Tony finishes soldering work on two sculpted metal boots. As Spencer types away at one of the computers behind him, her knee pulled up to her chest as she works. Her eyes flickering from a notebook filled with Tony's notes and equations and the computer screen. Monitors flicker beside Spencer as she links them with the metal boots and the sensors attached to them. Dum-E looks over Tony's shoulder.

"Still having trouble walking, Sir?" Jarvis asks.

"These aren't for walking." Tony answers and then pushes back from the boots. He moves around the computer unit and towards Spencer. He kisses Spencer's head and peers at the computer, he hums and nods, his hand on her back. He is really glad they are doing this together. That he can at least trust her to have his back.

.............

Days Later; Tony, finishes marking a 'test circle' with pieces of tape. He's now wearing the boots, wired to a chest 'bandolier'. Spencer sits at the computer again, Dum-E whirling away at her side, seemingly watching her as she works.

"Ready to record the big moment?" Tony teases as he looks at Spencer, she glances at him and smiles a little.

"Jarvis?" She asks.

"All sensors ready, Mrs Stark," Jarvis tells Spencer who hums and nods.

"Alright...We'll start off easy. Ten percent." Spencer offers as she types some commands into the computer. Tony activates hand-controlled joysticks. He shoots up, flips over a bench of tools. Crashes. There is silence a moment before Spencer stands from her seat. "Tony?" Spencer asks. Tony groans. "You okay?"

"I'm good, Beautiful" He answers.

"That flight yielded excellent data, Sir." Jarvis comments. Spencer smirks a little. Tony flops back onto the floor.

"Great, buddy" Tony mumbles with a pained groan.

...............

Spencer sets an ice pack against Tony's shoulder, he hisses and grunts against the cold, his forehead pressed to her shoulder. He hums a little and nuzzles into her. She smirks a little.

"Maybe we should put down some crash mats" She teases, he snorts and pulls his head back to give her a look. "I'm thinking about your poor ancient back" She adds, Tony pokes her side and smirks at her before he leans closer and kisses her. He has no idea what he would do without her.

......

Spencer hums to herself as she works on a gauntlet that sits in her lap. She and Tony have been taking shifts working on his suit parts over the last few days, working through their own system. Mainly so they can still sleep and spend time with their kids. Today is just Spencer's turn to work on the mechanics. The fact Tony trusts her enough to let her do this herself without his supervision says a lot about their relationship.

........

Tony glances to Spencer as she yawns into her hand as she walks into the kitchen to join him. She raises an eyebrow at him.

"Food?" He asks, she hums a little in question. "Chinese" He answers her unasked question as he sets a takeaway pot of food in her hand.

"Hmmm" She offers as she picks up a fork from the table, she kisses Tony's cheek before she shuffles into the living room where Trinity is watching cartoons with the twins. She drops onto the couch and pulls her legs under her to get comfy. Tony sits beside her with his own food, the kids already fed so they only have themselves to worry about now. Tony holds out his own box of food and Spencer helps herself as he takes food from hers, the two of them sharing a look, she smiles at him. He winks and pops a piece of chicken in his mouth. She sighs softly and leans against his side, her eyes drifting to her kids. Months ago, this was all but a fantasy. And now it is actually happening. Tony is back. They're home. The kids are all here. Everything is as it should be.