Chapter Sixteen

Spencer stands awkwardly in Bobby's hall, it feels like forever since she stepped foot in this house but suddenly all the memories come flooding back and she's not sure how she feels being here. Bobby stands before her and smiles sadly and warmly at her, despite the situation, he is so very happy to see her and her children.

"Thanks for letting us stay," Spencer tells Bobby as Trinity swirls her dress.

"You know you and them babies are always welcome here" Bobby assures her. "How are you holding up?"

"'M okay" she whispers, her voice breaking slightly. "Just....scared, Bobby" she admits.

"Hey, Princess" Dean states as he takes Trinity's hand. "Why don't we go make sure Uncle Sammy hasn't dropped your brother and sister?" Dean kisses Spencer's cheek and then leads Trinity away. Spencer wraps her arms around herself and looks to Bobby who then pulls her closer to him, his arms embracing her. Spencer's lips quiver as she fights off more tears. She feels like that's all she's done since Pepper told her. What else is she supposed to do when it feels like her heart has been torn in two? Bobby strokes her back and sighs sadly into her hair. After everything this family has been through, he really thought Spencer had lucked out. The nice house. The loving husband. The adorable children. She was supposed to be the lucky one. This wasn't supposed to happen to her. To them.

.................

Dean drops into the couch next to Sam with a heavy sigh, he's just come off the phone to Pepper, she's just as worried as they are about Spencer, but she agrees some time away, some time with her family will help, she needs to not be alone right now, she needs help. He glances at Sam who in turn glances back at him.

"Did you get the twins down?" Dean asks, Sam nods and lets out a small breath.

"Yeah" Sam answers. "Ryder fussed a little but..." Sam nods again. "He eventually settled....what did Pepper say?"

"Urm...that she, Rhodey and Happy are going to come here for Trinity's birthday" Dean answers. "We've got to try and keep the girl's mind from the fact that her father is missing her birthday when he promised he'd be here...."

"It's not Tony's fault" Sam scolds.

"No" Dean agrees with a sigh. "No, I know.....just frustrating.....this is nothing that we can just....kill to fix this"

"Yeah" Sam whispers. Dean presses his head into his hands and closes his eyes. What a mess this all is.

"What if he doesn't come back?" Dean mumbles into his hands. "What is she going to do?" he looks up again. "It will kill her" the two bothers share a look, both know that that Dean is right, Spencer can't lose Tony, it would break her heart beyond fixing. Not to mention the children. Trinity is old enough to realize if something happened, and growing up without a parent hurts, they all know that. They all know how hard it is having a single parent, Sam and Dean know Spencer will work the hell out of it, but they don't want her to have to do it alone. Dean leans back and lets out a breath. "You know what?" He asks. "We have to make this birthday pretty damn perfect.....we have to take photos, we have to record it....so that when Tony does come back, and he will, he can see it all...." Sam smiles and nods. Sometimes Dean can be pretty smart, especially when it comes to Spencer. Sam is so very jealous of the relationship the two of them have, Spencer and Dean share something that Sam would have if he'd stuck around. But he is glad that Dean was there for her when Sam himself wasn't. It still eats away at him every now and then, but things are better between the three of them, possibly more so than ever before.

................

Spencer pulls a hairbrush through Trinity's hair as the girl watches some cartoon on the tv, it's helping Spencer remain calm, Trinity helps. For a few moments, she can concentrate on her children and not on the fact that Tony is....wherever he is. Doing whatever he is. She doesn't want to think about it. She leans closer and kisses Trinity's head, breathing her in. Spencer loves her children soo much. She really does, but she has no idea how to do it alone. She's not strong enough, not old enough, not experienced enough, not good enough....not alone. She sniffles and pulls back going back to brush Trinity's hair. She just needs to make it to Trinity's birthday, then she'll think about it all, make choices, decisions. Decide what to do if things don't work out, if Tony never comes back. She doesn't want to think about it....but she might just have to. 

............

Dean strokes Spencer's hair as she sleeps, for the first time since this all happened she's actually sleeping. She still doesn't look healthy and strong but they'll fix that too. Just get her back on her feet before Tony comes back. Because he would hate to come back and see her this wrecked. He would hate to come home knowing she suffered this much. Dean takes a breath and leans over to kiss Spencer's head before standing and leaving her to it. He and Sam have a 2nd birthday to plan.