Chapter Twenty-Seven

Tony brushes Spencer's hair back from her face, his fingers soft on her face. He's not surprised that he returned and found her sleeping. He doesn't have the heart to wake her either. So he pulls the blanket off the back of the couch and wraps it around her. She shifts slightly but doesn't wake.

.........

Tony heads down into the garage where his little workshop is set up. As Tony enters, the room comes alive. Windows and lights change colors. The computer turns on. Jarvis loading all of Tony's preferences.

"Hello, Mr. Stark." Jarvis greets.

"Hello, Jarvis." Tony counters.

"What can I do for you?" Jarvis asks.

"...I need to build a better heart." Tony answers.

"I'm not sure I follow, Sir." Jarvis admits.

"Give me a scan and you'll see."

.....................

Later; Tony, shirtless and wearing goggles, sits in a 3D laser scanner. Lasers play over him, mapping his entire body. He spins his wedding ring on his finger as he waits for it to do it's thing.

"What were your intentions for this device?" Jarvis asks him.

"It powers an electromagnet which keeps the shrapnel from entering my heart." Tony answers. "Can you recommend any upgrades?"

"It is difficult to offer counsel in light of the fact that your stated intentions are inconsistent with your actions." Jarvis counters.

"What are you talking about? That is ridiculous. That is exactly the purpose of this invention." Tony argues.

"The energy yield of this device outperforms your stated intention by eleven orders of magnitude. You could accomplish your stated goal with the power output of a car battery." Tony steps from the booth. All around him, calculations flash at blinding speed on his computers.

"Upgrade recommendations. List." Tony points out, his jaw ticking slightly.

"Why are you talking to me like a computer?" Jarvis enquires.

"Because you are acting like one." Tony points out.

"Shall I disable random pattern conversation?"

"No. It's okay" Tony whispers and sighs. "Were you always this dry? I remember you having more personality than this." Tony offers.

"Should I activate sarcasm harmonics?"

"Fine. Could you please make your recommendations now?"

"It would thrill me to no end." Jarvis answer sarcastically.

"Ahh that's more like it."

"Should I begin machining the parts?"

"Machine away." Tony answers.

"What is that?" Tony spins to find Spencer behind him, her eyes flicker to his chest. He touches the device on his chest.

"Urm...was going to tell you over dinner....but you....fell asleep" He admits. Spencer pulls her hoodie closer and walks towards him. He touches her arm when she reaches him.

"Does it hurt?" she asks him, he shakes his head.

"Not now" he answers, she reaches up and taps a nail on the device.

"What is it?" She repeats quietly. He strokes her arms a little. 

"It's a battery" he tells her. "Powering a magnet that keeps shrapnel away from my heart..." she traces around the device, her eyes following her fingers, he can see the worry in her eyes now he has told her about the whole shrapnel thing. "I'm okay" he whispers taking her hand. "Life threatening injury over..."

"Is this an ark reactor?" She asks him as she points at the device. He frowns at her. "I read a paper years ago...." she explains. "About the applications for sustainable energy...they mentioned the ark reactor Stark Industries built....this looks like a mini version of the one at your company" He smiles and touches her face, she looks at him. "Is this one?"

"Built it out of scrap in a cave" he admits with a smile. Still gets amazed over how smart she actually is. That she knew just by looking at it. "You must have really studied that paper" he teases, she smirks a little.

"I did my research..." She counters. He nudges her nose with his and pulls back.

"Sometimes I forget how smart you are" He admits.

"Thanks" she tells him drily.

"No, I just mean..." He stops himself. "I know you're crazy smart, I just don't get why you don't....show off more" he touches her head and smiles. "You know, if you wanted it, I could hook you up at the company..."

"No" she argues. "I like what I do...I like putting my mind to work on hunting, on researching, and planning, it's my way of continuing my family business...." He smiles at her. "I know it's not the same as yours, that there is absolutely no money in it..."

"But you love doing it" he finishes for her, she nods. "That's all that matters" he assures her.

"So if everything is okay" She starts. "Why are you down here and plotting with Jarvis?" He motions to the computer.

"I need a new heart, something a little less....cavey" He taps the device. "Jarvis was helping me with upgrades" she moves closer to the computer to look over the data. Tony softens watching her, because yes, he does some times forget just how intelligent his wife is, and that's not really his fault, she's not as....open about her smarts as he is, he shows it off, at every opportunity, but Spencer, she's the silent smart type. He touches her back as he joins her. "Well until your brothers bring Dum-e and U back, I am going to need some very reliable hands" Spencer looks at him. "You up for some...joint science?" He asks her, she smiles and nods. Neither of them have really had the opportunity to explore science together, to mesh their minds together. He's actually now a little excited at the idea of this project.