Chapter Ten

Spencer sits on the floor outside of the nursery listening to Tony singing AC/DC softly to the twins, she is smiling, he is so attentive to them. A month after their birth and the twins are by far the most loved and most spoilt babies in all the world, well joint with Trinity. The three of them get everything that Spencer and Tony missed out on. A house. Two parents. Secure food source. Love and attention. And yes, even material possessions. Trinity's bedroom door opens and Spencer glances to her, the little girl rubs at her eyes and turns to look at her mother.

"Mommy" she whispers and then starts to shuffle along towards Spencer, dragging a little red blanket behind her. Spencer smiles warmly at her. God, her daughter is so adorable and she is not afraid to say that. Trinity actually reminds her more of Tony than herself. Despite not fully mastering speech, Trinity can be a sassy little madame, she's stubborn, smart, creative....that's all Tony. Spencer holds out her hands and Trinity slots herself between them.

"Hey, baby" Spencer greets helping Trinity into her lap, wrapping her arms around her daughter. "Couldn't sleep?"

"No" Trinity mumbles in a yawn.

"Daddy's singing so terrible?" Spencer teases, Trinity chuckles into her neck wrapping her arms around Spencer.

"No" she states firmly. "I like it"

"Oh, you like it" Spencer mumbles into Trinity's hair. "I think he sounds like a wounded, dying dog, but whatever"

"Like a wounded, dying dog, huh?" Tony teases standing in the doorway, Spencer looks up at him, he raises an eyebrow, Trinity chuckles.

"An adorable wounded, dying dog" Spencer argues softly. He nods and then crouches.

"Hey, princess" He greets Trinity. "Want me to sing you a song?"

"Zeppelin" she demands holding out her arms for him.

"Some Zeppelin huh?" Tony asks picking her up. "I can do that..." he winks at Spencer before carrying Trinity back towards her room, Spencer touches her chest at the warmth watching the two of them together. Spencer pushes herself to her feet and follows, lingering at the door to listen to them before she continues on to hers and Tony's room.

"Blinds please, Jarvis" she asks and he closes the blinds on the window. "Hmm thank you" she slips off her jeans as she moves towards the bed, all warm and cosy and waiting for her. "How are the twins?" she asks removing her shirt and grabbing one of Tony's to pull on.

"Fast asleep" Jarvis assures her and she can almost hear him smiling, if it were possible, she smiles and stretches out in her bed before curling up onto her side.

"Perfect" she whispers getting comfy.

...........

Spencer's almost asleep when Tony's arm slides around her waist, waking her further as he pulls her back against him as he settles into his place at her side. He kisses her shoulder and hums happily. She smiles and turns to face him. His lips instantly seeking out hers. He threads his fingers through her hair and holds her closer to deepen the kiss. She hums against his lips before he pulls back separating them.

"You hear that?" he whispers against her lips, she hums and pauses to listen.

"No, what?"

"Exactly....nothing, it's silent" he answers with a smirk. "All the babies are fast asleep at the same time....am I a genius or what?" she chuckles. "I'm kidding, I know I am" she draws her hands around him and he presses his forehead to hers. "You're pretty great too" he assures her.

"Yeah?" she asks him, he kisses the corner of her lips and then her cheek before nuzzling in.

"Amazing" he assures her, his hands travelling south.

"Okay" she chuckles. "I see what this is, you're trying to butter me up"

"Is it working?" he asks pulling back to look down at her. She rolls her eyes fondly and then smiles.

"Always" she answers, he smiles wider at her and then lurches forward to kiss her, pushing her over onto her back.

.............

Spencer holds Serenity in her arms, Ryder sleeps in a basket next to her and Trinity draws at her little table, the tv plays some animated movie for her. It's peaceful. Calm. Tony walks into the room, eyes down reading his phone checking his schedule for February that Pepper just sent him. He smiles seeing his little family gathered together. It's like a tv family, a family he never even thought he would get. And he loves it. Loves them. He notices something on his phone and frowns a little before sighing know that it means leaving his family. He's put off a lot of overseas trips because of it, but this one has to be him. He looks to Spencer.

"So I have a business trip at the beginning of next month" he admits, Spencer turns where she sits and raises an eyebrow at him.

"When?" she asks.

"13th" he answers.

"So you're going to miss Valentine's day?" she asks him, Tony kisses her forehead before shrugging.

"I'll make it up to you" he promises her.

"What about Trin's birthday?" she asks. "The 18th?"

"I'll be back for it" he promises. "Wouldn't miss it" he shows her his phone. "See, it's in big bold pink glittery letters" he teases, she smiles and shakes her head.

"Where are you going?" she asks, he glances down at his phone.

"Afghanistan" he answers, her mood instantly shifts into panic. .

"Afghanistan?" she asks. "Where there is a war? Where people are dying everyday?"

"Okay, you need to stop watching the news" he scolds slightly, she shoots him a look. "I'll be fine, Rhodey is going with me, I'll be surrounded by American troops....I'll be fine" she doesn't seem convinced or reassured by that. "I'll text you, every ten minutes" he cups her face and leans closer to nudges her nose. "It's a couple of weeks yet, things might calm down, everything will be okay" he kisses her softly. "Let's not worry about it" he whispers, she clutches to his shirt and pulls him closer, pulls him over the back of the couch to join her, he smiles a little careful of the twins.

"You have some time?" she asks him.

"For you guys?" he asks and then smiles. "You know I do" he looks down at Serenity and smiles warmly. "She looks happy"

"Yeah, well, so would you be if you just spent the last ten minutes suckling at my boob" she teases, Tony smirks.

"I really would be" he agrees, she rolls her eyes and elbows him. He kisses her cheek and motions to the baby. "Can I?" he asks, she nods and hands over the baby, Tony holds Serenity like she is the most precious and the most breakable thing in the world, she is a treasure to be protected. Spencer loves seeing this side of him. He's so precious himself. So warm and kind and loving.

"I love you" she tells him, Tony looks to her and smiles, eyes sparkling and warm.

"Well, I should hope you don't pop out sprogs for just about anyone" he teases leaning closer. "Love you too" he assures her.