Chapter Twenty-Four

Spencer lays in her bed staring at the crib that holds the twins, both of whom are fast asleep, side by side. She likes these moments. When there is peace throughout her children, when nothing is getting them down. She can't say the same thing about herself but...at least they are content and capable of sleep. Sam knocks on the door before letting himself into the room.

"You awake?" Sam asks, Spencer hums a little and turns over to face him. "Phone for you" he motions with the device in his hand.

"I'm really tired, Sam, just tell whoever it is to call back tomorrow" She complains, all she wants to do is sleep, whenever that is going to happen, even if all she can do until morning is lay awake in her bed, then fine, at least she is still technically resting.

"You're going to want to take the call, Spence," Sam tells her, barely containing his smile. She sits up in bed and raises an eyebrow at him, he shakes the phone at her and she takes it from him before pressing it to her ear.

"Hello" She greets.

"Spencer, it's Pepper" Pepper counters, and she's upbeat and positive. "They found him..." Spencer lets out a breath. "He's coming home" Pepper assures her, Spencer covers her mouth as she starts to cry. Sam sits on the bed beside her and pulls her into a hug, she leans into him. But for the first time in a long time, they are happy tears, relieved tears.

................

Dean sets Spencer's bag into the trunk of her car as she finishes strapping the sleeping twins inside of it. She didn't wait. She has to go now, she has to clean the house, to make sure everything is back in its place, and ready for Tony to return. It has to be perfect.

"We can watch the kids" Dean offers as he moves around the car to join her.

"No, I have to take them with me" Spencer argues. "He's going to want to see them...." she touches her lips and lets out a breath. Every few minutes, it just hits her all over again. Tony is coming home. Dean moves closer to her and touches her arms, she raises an eyebrow at him.

"You were right," Dean tells her, she cocks her head and frowns. "You didn't give up hope that he was alive and was coming back" Spencer nods a little. "You were right...." She smiles.

"I usually am" She teases, he nods and steps closer to her.

"Go get him" He states and cups her cheeks in his hands. "Go take your husband home. And don't worry, we'll load up the robot babies and drive them back" She sniffles and nods as she wipes at her cheeks. "Just pack up the kids, go home..." Dean kisses her head as he hugs her tightly before pulling back. Spencer takes a deep breath and then climbs into her car, the twins asleep in the back with Trinity who clutches to her stuffed wolf. Spencer feels lighter than she has in months. Her family is about to be whole again, and she gets to be the person to say 'I told you so' to everyone that thought Tony was dead.

.................

Tony is sat in a wheelchair on board a C-17 plane across from Rhodey who is texting away on his phone, keeping Pepper informed and vice versa. Rhodey knows that Spencer is waiting for Tony and he is mere moments away from returning her husband to her. She was right. When she snapped at him. He should have done better. And he did. He went out there and he found Tony, just like she knew he would.

"How is she?" Tony asks, Rhodey looks at him and nods. Rhodey doesn't even need to ask who Tony means.

"Urm...strong" Rhodey answers, Tony gives him a look. "It's...been a rough...few months....but she got through it...." Tony nods a little and looks away, his thumb playing with his wedding ring. Things have changed with him, physically. He's returning to his wife as a changed man, he's not sure how she is going to take it. His free hand reaches up and touches the mini-arc reactor through his shirt. Rhodey watches him a moment before going back to his phone.

.............

The rear ramp of the C-17 lowers to the ground, the sunlight momentarily blinds Rhodey and Tony as they wait. Tony blinks against the intrusion of light and instantly his gaze lands on Spencer across the tarmac, Trinity clutching to her leg at her side. He lets out a breath. His rescue and return finally sinking in. Seeing her.....he is home. Rhodey touches the handles of the chair before he starts to push Tony down the ramp but Tony wants to do this himself. He wants to walk to his wife and daughter. He doesn't want her to worry too much, and the chair is not going to help that.

"Help me out of this thing..." Tony complains and then struggles to his feet, faltering. Rhodey steadies him.

"I got you, pal." Rhodey assures him as they head across the tarmac towards where Spencer is waiting with Trinity, the young girl was impossible to keep in the car.

"Daddy!" Trinity yells and runs towards Tony who crouches to greet her, he smiles at her and nods.

"Hey, Princess" He greets. "I am so sorry I missed your birthday" Trinity falls into his chest as she cries. Tony barely holds his own in. it's been a long few months away from his children, away from his wife. He looks at Spencer who smiles sadly at him, he smiles back and releases Trinity. "Come on" he holds out his good hand to her and she reaches up and takes it. They walk together as Spencer comes forward. She and Rhodey share a look.

"Thank you." She tells him, Rhodey nods softly. And now she faces Tony. A ghost of his former self, but she puts on a brave face. Tony manages a smile as he looks at his wife, he can see the effect him being gone has had on her.

"Your eyes are red. A few tears for your long-lost hubby?" He teases, she gives him a small laugh.

"Tears of joy. I hate dating" She tells him, they share a look before he steps closer, his hand releasing Trinity, Spencer lets out a breath as he touches her arm and pulls her closer to him so he can kiss her. She touches his cheek, brushing her fingers over his stubble as she cries. Tony pulls back and sets his forehead against hers, his arm tight around her. She just touches his face, just wanting to touch him. Happy comes around, holds the car door open for Tony who pulls back from Spencer, his hand taking Trinity's again as she reaches for him.

"Good to see you again, Sir." Happy tells him.

"You do something new with your hair?" Tony asks.

"Wouldn't dream of it, Sir." Happy answers and shares a look with Spencer, both showing their relief. Spencer helps Tony into the limo and then lets Trinity in behind him before she climbs in herself, taking her place at Tony's side, his eyes on her face. Notes how much thinner she is, how tired she looks. And he knows it is all his fault.

"Spencer" he whispers, she looks at him as Trinity tries to climb into his lap. "Easy, Princess" Tony warns her a little but helps her into his lap, his good arm wrapping around her, his lips finding her head. He and Spencer share a look. "Where are the twins?" he asks her.

"With Pepper" She answers. "There wasn't enough space in the car" he nods a little. "They're okay" she assures him, he holds Trinity closer to him as Happy climbs into the front of the car. Spencer meets eyes with Happy in the mirror.

"Where to, Mr Stark?" Happy asks.

"We're due at the hospital," Spencer answers and turns to Tony, he shakes his head.

"No, to the office." He corrects, Spencer gives him a look. "I've been in captivity for three months. There's only three things I want to do. I want to eat a cheeseburger. I want to see the twins. And I want to hold a press conference." Tony reaches up and touches Spencer's cheek. "I will go to the hospital after...." he promises her, she sighs and nods. "Call Pepper, tell her to meet us at the office with the kids" She nods again and pulls out her cell phone to text Pepper.