Chapter Nineteen

Bobby stares at Dum-E as the robotic arm whirls and hands Trinity a toy, Bobby blinks and looks at Spencer as she and Pepper talk. He's seen things. But never something like Dum-E. He turns to Spencer.

"What is that?" Bobby asks, Spencer looks at him.

"Dum-E" she answers, he gives her a look because that doesn't explain anything. "He's Tony's" she whispers. "When I was at the house I just..." she shrugs a little as she watches Dum-E with Trinity. "I felt bad leaving him behind" Bobby gives her a sad smile.

"And U is in the car outside" Pepper adds, Bobby glances at her and then back to Spencer.

"There are two of them?" he asks her, she nods.

"I just didn't want them to be alone, and I know how stupid that sounds because they're machines but....when Tony comes back, I want him to know that I looked after them, that I didn't just abandon them or leave them behind.....they're important to him, despite how often he yells at them and scolds them..." Bobby softens slightly, she just wants something of Tony's to keep close to her, her hope is waning, and she just needs something to keep her going.

...........

Spencer sits watching tv in her old room at Bobby's, the twins sleep soundly in their cot and Trinity is asleep in her lap, Spencer threads her fingers through the girls hair, soothing not only the toddler but herself. She's tired but doesn't want to sleep, if she sleeps then she sees every bad scenario that can come out of Tony's disappearance. She doesn't want to go through that again.

"I see we've gained robot pets" Dean comments leaning in the doorway, Spencer glances at him and shrugs.

"Not so much pets" she argues. "More like...mechanical step-children" she teases slightly, Dean smirks and leans up to enter the room. "They're important to Tony and things at the house felt....weird" she admits. "I have a bad feeling" She whispers as she looks down at Trinity sleeping in her lap. "What if it means he's not coming home?" Dean sits on the bed beside her and strokes her back.

"It's Tony" he counters. "Okay? From what I've seen that man is like crazy smart, if he's not rescued, he'll do it himself" Spencer lets out a sad laugh and nods. "And I have no doubt that he will do whatever it takes to come home to you, and to her..." he nods to Trinity. "And to Ryder and Serenity" she looks at him, he nods and brushes tears from her cheek. "I know you're scared" he whispers. "About what will happen if he doesn't come back, about how you'll cope with three of them" she nods, whilst she loves her children, she can't even begin to think about how she will do it on her own. "But look, you're doing it now, you have help, you will always have help" she nods a little, he kisses her head and then stands again. "I just wanted to pop in before I went to bed" he admits and stares down at Trinity. "You all seem comfy so..." he starts to leave, Spencer takes a breath.

"Dean" he stops and turns back to her. "The twins have their hearing screening next week, will you come with me?" he nods at her.

"Yeah, of course I will" he assures her. "What is that?" she laughs a little.

"It's just a test they do to make sure their hearing works" She explains. "Trinity had hers before we even left the hospital but this time their audiologist was on maternity herself and Tony didn't like the replacement and then Tony, you know, so I put off the appointments." he nods.

"I'll be there" Dean tells her. "I'm sure everything will be fine" He offers, she nods and takes a breath. "Goodnight, Spence"

"G'night, Dean" she counters as she pulls Trinity up so she can move her to the toddler bed against the wall. Dean smiles softly watching her manage, he knows Spencer can do this, even on her own, she can do it.

................

Spencer wakes during the night to a disturbance in the room, she turns her head and then sits up, hand instantly reaching for her gun. Spencer raises her gun at the figure stood over the twins.

"Back off!" she growls, Sam turns and holds up his hands.

"It's only me" he is quick to tell her, she lets out a breath and lowers her gun.

"What the hell, Sam, I could have shot you?" she scolds as she tucks the gun back under her pillow.

"Yeah, I saw that, sorry, I just...had a weird dream and..."

"One of your psychic dreams?" she asks him, panic now setting in. "What did you see? Are they going to be hurt?"

"No" he is quick to reassure her. "No, just a normal bad dream" he promises her. "But I just needed to check on them.." she nods a little and runs her fingers through her hair. "Are you okay?" Sam asks her, she shrugs a little and pats the empty side of her bed, Sam gives her a sad smile and climbs in next to her. He wraps his arms around her knowing that she just needs comfort, he strokes her back and kisses her head.

.................

Dean stands on the porch with Spencer who has Trinity propped on her hip. Dean gives them both a smile and leans closer to kiss Spencer's head.

"Don't worry, I'll be back in time for that ear appointment" Dean assures her, she takes a breath and nods, he touches her cheek and then picks up his duffel. Spencer presses her nose to Trinity's hair as her brother climb into the Impala, this is the first time they've left her since Tony was taken and she's a little nervous about it, that fear that they're not going to come back eating at her. Sam gives her a wave and she nods back. The car's engine rumbles to life before driving away, Spencer takes a breath in and turns back to walk into the house.