Chapter 11- The Good News

Mao was walking through a very long aisle. Nervous though, she couldn’t help but look at her surroundings. Everything was white. The walls, the floor tiles, and even the ceilings were white. The color white was supposed to give you a sense of peace and tranquility. However, what Mao was feeling at that moment was far from this. With every step, Mao could hear her rapid heartbeat. And it was getting faster as she neared the door of her chosen OB-GYNE.

Mao stopped in front of the said door. She first took a deep breath and then grabbed the door knob. Yet upon touching the door knob, a feeling of dizziness suddenly hit her. Good thing Maki was just right behind her and managed to catch Mao before she completely fell towards the floor.

“Mao-chan, daijoubu?” A concerned Becky appeared in front of the two. She offered her hand to help Mao.

“Hai. I’m okay.” Mao grabbed hold of Becky’s hand as she stood up. “Thank you, Maki. Sorry about that too. I just felt a little dizzy.”

“No worries, dear. Maybe it’s better if we see the doctor right now for a better look at Mao.” Maki did the honor of opening the door for them.

The three ladies were greeted by a woman in her mid-forties. She was sporting a sweet smile. “Good morning ladies. I’m Dr. Matsushima Nanako. Which one of you is Inoue Mao-san?”

“Hai. That’s me.” Mao raised her hand just like a student wanting to recite in class.

“Well then, have a seat Inoue-san.” The doctor motioned her to the seat in front of her desk. “You two girls may seat on the sofa over there.”

“Arigato, Matsushima-sensei.” Maki and Becky thanked her as they took their seat.

Dr. Matsushima started asking questions about Mao’s health and history. After going through all the questions in her checklist, the lady doctor announced that she’ll be conducting the “real” check-up on Mao.

“Inoue-san, we’ll be doing a transvaginal ultrasound procedure today. Follow me.” The doctor went towards the other end of the room to which Mao went after.

“Now if you could remove your undergarments and sit on that special chair over there so that we can start immediately. Just call me if you’re ready.” She moved the cloth to close the space and give Mao some privacy.

Mao could again hear her heartbeat with every move she made. This time it was as if her heart would jump off her chest. Today was her first time to be in an OB-GYNE’s office. She had always been scared of the procedures these doctors would ask their patients to do. However for the sake of knowing if she’s pregnant or not, Mao is willing to throw that fear away and undergo anything that pretty doctor would ask her to do. Just like this time. Mao is completely clueless as to what will happen as she is seated in this peculiar chair. While she is feeling a little bit awkward and shy with her legs being spread open by this chair, she is willing to suck it all up just so she could confirm her pregnancy.

With that, she called upon Matsushima-sensei. “Anou. Matsushima-sensei, I’m ready.”

The lady doctor appeared with a smile. Then she started looking through her medical apparatus. She came back holding a probe. Without further ado, Dr. Matsushima inserted the probe, called Transducer, into her private part.

Mao felt a little amount of pressure at first but then she came to relax a few moments after. Meanwhile, the doctor was examining the screen on Mao’s side. Seeing this, Mao took a glance at the screen as well and what she saw made her eyes water.

“See that lump that is shaped like a bean? That’s your baby, Inoue-san. Congratulations! You’re 10 weeks pregnant.” The doctor happily announced to a nearly-crying Inoue Mao.